Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Need some ideas

Question

I just finished washing the entrance steps at a town house complex with about 200 units. They have asked me to quote doing all the driveways. I am going to include a separate price for the garage doors. I did not notice even one oil spot in any of the drives when I was washing the steps. Looked like just surface dirt and a little mold and mildew. Here is what I need some ideas on.

The drives are small. Only large enough to handle two cars side by side. On either side are brick steps leading to each unit. I will have to use a wand to cut in the driveways. If I do the garage doors I will need a wand for that. I want to use my surface cleaner on the drives. Swithcing back and forth between the wand and surface cleaner will get old quick. I plan to use chems on the doors they are pretty dirty.

What is a good plan to do the drives and the doors in minimal time? I have a ball valve that I use when I am switching attachments but it is a bear to turn off and on. I currently x-jet my chems but this could be a good project to DS. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

There is a surface cleaner with a wand attached for just this type of situation where you need to switch between two units.

The least expensive way is a ball valve before the gun. They are heavy and bulky but they do the trick.

My technique is to wash all the large areas with the surface cleaner then wand the sides and clean up before moving to the next section.

Rod!~

you can make your surface cleaner like the ones that Rod was talking about. Mine came attached with wand, but I took it off because I didn't really like it and it weighed down the surface cleaner too much. Now I just use a ball valve and carry the wand on the surface cleaner...

I gotta look for those ball valves that you're talking about Jeff...mine sucks!

The way this place is laid out there is a main drag going down the center with 30 or so units along it. On both side of the main entrance there are roads running off with 12 to 20 units on each road. Everything is close together so I park my rig on the corner and run as much as 300' of hose down the street to the end units.

I could begin with the units farthest from my rig, do the garage doors and cut in the driveway working back towards the truck. Once I am at the truck I could get the surface cleaner and head back down one side then up the other cleaning the drives. I am covering the same groung twice but I should be able to do the doors pretty quick. That might be better than constantly switching back and forth from the wand to the surface cleaner.

I'll check with PT on a different ball valve.

Sounds like you got it all figured out Doug.

What kind of surface cleaner are you using? I just got a 27' Hydrotek. I was amazed at how close I can get to the edge. On drives I don't have to cut in anymore and don't have to worry about tearing up grass or blowing mulch all over the place. The Hydrotek cleans right to the edge. I would think that cutting in, if needed, should be done afterwards. Once you rinse the drives off after cleaning them with the surface cleaner you will probably get the garage door dirty again. I would do all the cutting in, door cleaning, and rinsing last.

I am using a 21" BE. I've been checking out the Landa Water Jet with the adjustable heigth and attached wand. Right now the price is just too high. You're right about doing the cutting in and doors last. It will get dirt back on the doors. I guess just reverse what I said before and hit all the drives with the surface cleaner first then come back and cut in, do the doors and rinse.