Sign in to follow this  
blackjack21

water fed pole system

I just bought a water fed pole system from this guy. He told me all i had to do was hook up a tank and cleaning would be a snap. I went to the place to get the di tank and theres 3 tanks I gotta get that weigh 100 lbs a piece. This wasn't what i signed up for. I called him and he told me the only tank I need, the one he used, was the carbon tank. Anyone know about the water fed pole systems and if what he's telling me is true?

Blackjack

jacksonville fl

I got DI tanks from The Cullagan Man. I got 2 tanks so I would have a spare but I only need to use 1 at a time. Depending on how hard the water is it should last for 500 to 1000 gal. I think it depends on who you call for a set up. I talked to US FIlters and they told me I need to spend about a grand on a setup. Cullagan cost me about $150 or less for each tank rental (Ithink ). The big window job fell through so I have had these tanks for 6 months or more and have not used them.

Carbon doesn't deionize the water. The resin cartridges do. Sounds like that guy isn't telling you the full story.

I just bought a water fed pole system from this guy. He told me all i had to do was hook up a tank and cleaning would be a snap. I went to the place to get the di tank and theres 3 tanks I gotta get that weigh 100 lbs a piece. This wasn't what i signed up for. I called him and he told me the only tank I need, the one he used, was the carbon tank. Anyone know about the water fed pole systems and if what he's telling me is true?

Blackjack

jacksonville fl

No he is wrong, you need the DI tank to go straight from supply to job clean. Depending on how soft or hard your water is, you may need to buy an RO system. DI systems are for soft water areas otherwise you would be paying to replenish the DI crystals every month if you are in a hard water area.

I would imagine in Jacksonville you could get a Deionization tank for a cheap rental fee. I pay 150 dollars to exchange a tank (I can keep it for as long as I want) that last me several thousand dollars worth of cleaning, so the cost is well worth it. In an area where the WFP and DI is popular, like California, you can rent the tanks for about 20 dollars. The tank is about 50 pounds or so when empty of water. It's common to mount this tank (It's actually more like a fiberglass welders gas tank) to a handtruck. The waterhose attaches to one end and your water fed pole to the other. You'll need a TDS (Total Desolved Solids, about $25) meter to make sure you're still getting water that won't spot. You want to keep the water that comes out below 20PPM. At 30PPM you start to see water spots. When first new, the tank will give you a TDS meter of 0PPM. This is a great way to clean windows, and the cost of a DI tank rental shouldn't scare because you recover that money quickly. I don't know a lot about Reverse Osmosis systems, I know they can last longer, but cost more. The Carbon filter is put before the RO system to make it last even longer - I believe it mainly removes the chlorine and larger solids.

Thank you all for the replies.

Micah, sounds like you only have one tank that you use. I was told by the guy who sold the system to me that all I would nee is one tank on a handcart. When I got to the water place (siemans) they told me I need three: a carbon tank, a cation tank and a anion tank. A hundred bucks a piece and a hundred lbs each.

Do you know if the is one tank that will do the job and also last a little while?

thx

blackjack

My tank is a "mixed bed resin" tank, so it contains both cation and anion resin. This tank last me a good little bit, but our water seems to be in good condition here. I beleive when the two tanks are divided it does last longer, which you may have to have if the water is at a heavy TDS from the spigot. I do have a carbon pre-filter placed before the DI tank, but those are cheap ($50 for the casing and like $10 to replace the actual filter) and they are much smaller, kind of looks like a coffee maker. I would find a place to get a DI tank (a mixed bed like mine) and see how it last you before you get into carrying all that other stuff around.