Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Stripper ?

Question

Hey Everyone,

I need to purchase some stripper, and was wondering if there is any one or two strippers that any of you use, that seems to work on all finishes?

Thanks in Advance for your replies!

RJ

10 answers to this question

There will not be a magic bullet type of stripper that will work on all finishes. Different compositions require different active ingredients to react with them and so you will find that you may need 2-3 types to handle finishes ranging from wax to resin (alkyd, polymer and other synthetics) and acrylic to latex.

We currently use the same as Celeste mention HD-80 but also use some additives we buy from Tom @ ACR Products that boost or extend the range of activity for most sealers. For the rest, we use Eacochems products to strip the tougher stuff.

Rod!~

Damm here is another header of a thread that wasn't the subject i thought it was about!!:lgwave:

F-18 has been working great like HD 80 mentioned above.

I have to say honestly I have not been impressed with F-18. I have been out to a couple deck strips and both required two treatments. To be fair though, they could have both been difficult strips.

I have to say honestly I have not been impressed with F-18. I have been out to a couple deck strips and both required two treatments. To be fair though, they could have both been difficult strips.

What dilution are you mixing at?

Not a bad idea. Been meaning to get some hd80 to try out.

Got my first strip tomorrow with f-18 so thats why I was wondering.

Hopefully it wont be as hard as the ones you used the f18 on. Test spot seemed to take it off quite well though

Could any of you tell me what the consistency of hd80 is? Ive got timberstrip which is very fine crystal looking and f18 is much thicker and clumpier

From what I've seen with F-18 and HD-80 is when using the same ounces per gallon. The HD-80 is hotter and will work quicker, but the F-18 can be mixed stronger. If you were stripping a stain at 6 oz.'s to a gallon with HD-80 and it took it 15 min.'s to be ready to rinse it would probably take 8 oz.'s of F-18 to get the same 15 min.'s. But you could get by with 6 just a longer dwell. The surfactants in F-18 make it cling better to verticals. But with that it is harder to rinse. I think F-18 is better than anything for cleaning unsealed gray wood. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.