Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Help! SOS!

Question

While staining a fence, a gust of wind came up and now there are a bunch of little brown spots on white vinyl siding. The only two chems I had with me were mineral spirits and bleach, neither one touched it. What is there that I can try? Really nice customer, would hate to replace the affected siding.

6 answers to this question

I was using Bakers Gray Away. Goof off didn't touch it, I tried an orange based stain remover that worked great getting rid of the stain but left an even worse orange residue, super strong stripper mix has done the best but still some left behind, including the orange residue. I'm going to try a different stripper, if that doesn't work it may come down to color matching some paint to cover it up. Jeez, the job went great until this!!

Don't put stripper on it, you are going to warp the vinyl. Go to Home Depot or Sherwin William and get Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover. Goof Off will probably work but I have found it to remove too much colorant from siding.

Sounds like a situation to learn from thats fer sure. I don't know how similar house siding is to vinyl flooring but Goof off products do etch into vinyl and butyl based strippers will warp. They got away from that by changing stripper mixes and/or vinyl makeup for years now. Since he has to not make matters worse yet still has to remove stains he has to use some type stripper blotted on real carefully only where the stains are. Potassium hydroxide is main stuff for vinyl flooring..personally I would lightly try Mr.Clean's Magic Eraser.