Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Black deck (Mahogany with Penofin)

Question

What is my best approach to strip and seal this type wood?...The Penofin is a couple years old and the deck looks really blackened from this sealer......Otherwise, the wood is like new.....I recommended Aussie Timber oil but no color choices where given...Any suggestions on stripping, and a good product and color?.........Sorry, no photos yet.....

Stephen Andrews

Power washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

12 answers to this question

Ken.....Which is faded, the deck or the WTW?.......How does the wood underneath the WTW look?.............

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I cleaned a house with Penofin on it yesterday. If the finish is still good. Do a test spot with a bleach mixture. Many times the decks just need to be cleaned with bleach to remove the mildew. The rosewood oil in Penifin is prone to mildew

Is Penofin considered a penetrant or a film former?....My guess is a penetrant.....The deck showed no signs of chipping or cracking..It gets direct sun all day.....The verticals (lattice only, the rails are white vinyl) on one side are in good shape and the lattice is almost perfect as you go around the corner. It's completely out of the sun and it looks nearly brand new with a nice sheen to it.....The customer said that the deck when newly finished looks like the deck of a boat...I think the best thing to do is go and do the bleach test as Jim suggests and while I'm there try a strip test if needed............If it's what Jim suggests then I can save the customer a lot of money and still make a G for the day......

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

James...I tried bleach with no success...It's gonna be a strip job afterall.....I'll be in touch after we do the strip......Which color RS would you suggest using if I go with the RS and MS 50/50 combo?....And should I still rub the deck down after the application?............

Yaz

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance