Sign in to follow this  
BB Pressure

A Little Confused

Question

I'm a little confused about downstreaming. I'm X-jetting and don't understand why I would need to downstream. I do a lot of 2 stories. Does downstreaming only work good for smaller jobs? What's the advantage?

25 answers to this question

No hauling of the bucket :) It's more efficient - less set up, less chance for chemical spillage..others will list more reasons I'm sure.

BUT for acid - the x-jet is still the ticket!

Celeste

There are a few main differences between the X-Jet and a downstream injector. Both can be concidered "downstream", as they are both after the pump. They both can meter your soap. An X-jet typically has more ratio range than a downstream does. Downstream injectors usually range between 4:1 and 10:1. X-jets can be from 0.8:1 to 766:1, depending on your flow rate. Most don't ever use all the ratios, but having options is nice. Carrying a wand/hose and a five gal bucket never seemed too tough to me, but if you prefer not to, you can extend the soap hose. Some tie-wrap it to their high-pressure hose and go back to thier trailers. You may need something like a sureflow pump added in the line to give power-assist so your soap stays up to the nozzle when hose length is long. The X-jet works on high pressure draw, where-as a DI works on low pressure draw. Sizing the internal orifice to your machine specs is crucial to get the proper draw on the X-jet. Your dealer can help with the proper sizing. The X-jet also is a long distance nozzle. (typical distance is 30 to 40 ft) It can be used to apply cleaners as well as be used to rinse. A downstream injector requires a nozzle for long distance application of cleaners. When NOT using the Close-Range Nozzle, while working with the X-Jet, pressure comes out at the same rate as the machine you are using it with. Both the original X-Jet and the new M5 X-Jet have a Close-Range Nozzle to lower the pressure while working in close areas where strong pressure may result in damages. I hope this has helped clear up your confussion. If you still have questions please contact me and I'd be happy to assist further.

Downstreaming Advantages:

• Use less chemical

• Higher effective spray height than X-jet

• No fog of chemical that travels God knows where to settle on the neighbor's car/plants/windows

• No carrying of extra equipment

• No waiting or maneuvering in priming the X-Jet hose

• Built-in fool proof chemical ratios. Even chem mixed overly strong in bucket is diluted perfectly.

• Less worry about incessant rinsing of windows and plants as chemical diltuion is where it should be (most guys that use the X-Jet use too strong of a chemical.

• All factors contribute for a much faster job completion time. Setup and breakdown is also faster.

• Low replacement cost

Should I go on? Once you try downstreaming you will never look back. I worked yesterday on a stucco house and had to X-Jet straight 12% (never had to do that before) Other than that we may use an X-Jet on 10% of our projects. If you are just doing vinyl, its a no-brainer.

So what nozzle do you use to shoot as high as the x-jet when downstreaming?

1/4" hose barb in a 1/4" qc will give you 2 1/2 to 3 stories with a narrow stream. (Its really fun with 8 gpm!)

Nice jobs reef,

What did YOU use on that office building?

I would have tried my down stream with a 1/4 barb on a long wand for the highest of the stain...

I'm really glad to hear low pressure resolved their problem !

r

1/4" hose barb in a 1/4" qc will give you 2 1/2 to 3 stories with a narrow stream. (Its really fun with 8 gpm!)

I think you need to break it down for him a lil.. Some of those terms can be a lil. confusing when starting out .... It's hard to comprehend a downstreamer capable of projecting chemical with any pressure at all behind it when your used to the typical low pressure downstreaming method .... The black tip just doesn't shoot it ...... my .02 cents ....:)

I think you need to break it down for him a lil.. Some of those terms can be a lil. confusing when starting out .... It's hard to comprehend a downstreamer capable of projecting chemical with any pressure at all behind it when your used to the typical low pressure downstreaming method .... The black tip just doesn't shoot it ...... my .02 cents ....:)

Think rifle as opposed to sawed-off shotgun. The hose barb focuses the stream of water (without causing too much back-pressure, which would cause the downstreamer to stop sucking) and the gpm's determine the distance.

We aren't using the black tip. The nozzle you will need is a zero degree (if you are not going with the barb tip). The orifice size is BIG..30-40 depending on your machine's output.

Nozzles are rated with a number code. The first two number designate spray pattern The last numbers denote orifice size. For example for wood we might use a 4012. For a downstream housewash (to get the height) you may need 0035 (again depending on your gpm). You'll know you have the right nozzle if it looks like you can put a piece of cooked spaghetti into the orifice.

Ken, Please provide me your thought process as to how an injector uses less chem than an X-Jet. If I want 25:1 for my chem, isn't 25:1 the same no matter which way I put it on? Perception may seem like more but geez, I want my ratios to be the same no matter how I apply. I'm interested in your reply becuase I've seen the argument too often. I say 25:1 is 25:1 no matter what. The road to get there just may be a little different. And yes, we sell the X-Jet but this has nothing to do with that. I'm more interested in why everyone says the X-jet uses more chem. Enlighten me, please. Thanks.

Tracy, I agree with you that the science is the science and on paper there is no discussion. The difference is in the contractor. The majority that use the X-Jet (previously myself included) make their chem mix too strong. Oh, this house is extra dirty I'll mix in an extra half gallon of 12%. I'd say its also true that the majority of contractors couldn't be bothered with proportioners. One bucket per side of house with the X-Jet was average. Utilizing 1.5-2 gallons of 12% and a gallon of cleaning concentrate per pail yielded usage of 6-8 gallons of 12% and 4 gallons of house wash.

Now our mix is down to 3 gallons 12%, 1 gallon of concentrate house wash, and some liquid truck wash. That will do most houses up to 3000 s/f. No brown plants. No films. And still works just as well.

In a perfect world there would be no difference in usage. A person would spend a large amount of trial and error time averaging their gpm to the X-Jet proportioner, there would never be any wind, they would apply the chemical perfectly and evenly and X-Jetting would only mean lugging around extra equipment. But, you've ben in the field, right Tracy? You know it doesn't work that way. I'd rather have my guys utilize something relatively foolproof. If they mix in an extra half gallon or gallon of 12%, it doesn't matter. Too much housewash concentrate? Won't make a difference. Forgot to prewet those windows and that little bush in the corner, no problem.

There are a few main differences between the X-Jet and a downstream injector. Both can be concidered "downstream", as they are both after the pump. They both can meter your soap. An X-jet typically has more ratio range than a downstream does. Downstream injectors usually range between 4:1 and 10:1. X-jets can be from 0.8:1 to 766:1, depending on your flow rate. Most don't ever use all the ratios, but having options is nice. Carrying a wand/hose and a five gal bucket never seemed too tough to me, but if you prefer not to, you can extend the soap hose. Some tie-wrap it to their high-pressure hose and go back to thier trailers. You may need something like a sureflow pump added in the line to give power-assist so your soap stays up to the nozzle when hose length is long. .

Where do you get a 4:1 injector??

I x-jet houses and don't recall ever using a full pail per side. On an average house ~ 2,000 sf I would probably use 1 and a half to 2 pails depending on how dirty the house was. Two full pails for me would equal one gallon of Power House and 5 gallons of 12%.

I x-jet houses and don't recall ever using a full pail per side. On an average house ~ 2,000 sf I would probably use 1 and a half to 2 pails depending on how dirty the house was. Two full pails for me would equal one gallon of Power House and 5 gallons of 12%.

Hey I'm a xjetter too!!! Yea there is some truth to what Mr. Pressure Pro said about getting it mixed right, but useing a bucket per side is pumping it out!!

I use about 10 gal of mix on a normal house, .5-.75 of power house and 3 gal of 12.

My thinking is it takes to long waiting for the chems to come by downstreaming, and I had a ton of trouble with the injector.

Happy X-ing for me!!!:)

I washed a stucco ranch yesterday. The house with the attached three car garage was probably 2,500 to 3,000 s.f. It was also pretty dirty on two sides with a long dormer above the garage and a chimney. Two 5 gallon mixes did the house including what I used on the front sidewalk that was about 50' long.