Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Deckster Question: PLEASE HELP...

Question

Hey guys, hope your having a great weekend!

So I got a great deal on a new Deckster from a friend of mine, trouble is, no manual! I'm gonna order one from sunbrite tomorrow, but for now, I cant seem to figure out how to get this thing hosed up correctly! I attached some pictures that show how its currently configured. Main thing, I have no idea which hose drops into the sealer??? He has a bunch of quick connects already hooked up, just don't know if he did it correctly... If anyone can help me make heads or tails of this I'd appreciate it~ Ive got 3K sq. ft of deck to spray tomorrow and I'm bit up a creek right now. Thanks!

post-1749-137772180504_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

I don't have a deckster, but I do have a shurflo and it shouldn't be much different. The white motor is the pump. The left side is the inlet and the right side is the outlet. Looks to me like the inlet side has different qc's for water/stripper/oxalic/bleach/stain whatever soooo... in at left, out at right.

Thanks Ken, so if I understand you correctly, the QC's are hooked up incorrectly? Not supposed to be there? I attached a pic of what i think is the filter? Its the only part resembling a filter...

post-1749-137772180508_thumb.jpg

The hoses are coupled togeher for transportation. Replace the couplers when you are done applying stain/chemical and reconnect. It prevents damage to the pump. LOL on your picture.. yes that's the filter.

Looking at your picture, the adjustment valve that is to the left of the pump adjusts your pressure.

Matt,

Maybe I can help. Refer to this picture.

decker5er.jpg

This is the rear of my unit. First, disconnect the quickconnect on your setup where the primer bulb intake hose is connected to the return hose (left bottom of your picture). Your screened filter quick connects to the primer bulb hose female connector (not shown in my pic). If not its probably not a big deal, depending on the quality of your stain.

Anyway, stick the return hose (shown in my pic as the metal end looped and terminating to the right of the primer bulb) into your 5 gal. stain bucket, along with the inlet or draw hose (that at the end of the primer bulb).

Attach the included 30 or 50 foot hose and trigger gun, which I assume you have done in your picture.

Prime the pump with the bulb. The on / off switch I am sure you have found.

To the left of my pic, is a threaded brass kind of nut, facing the ground. Turning this adjusts the pressure, as indicated on the gauge.

Just up and to the left of that is a 2 way petcock, with the small handle show in my pic parallel to the ground. This position feeds pressurized pump fluid to your gun. Straight down bypasses the gun and recirculates the pump fluid.

Thanks guys! Wow, Rick, maybe someday my unit will look as cool as yours! So I figured it out! ANd, WOWWWWW Its awesome! I cant believe I ever used anything else to apply soaps,strippers,etc! This is gonna be great! Just need to figure out how best to transport this thing to my jobs~running short on space in the back of my truck. Do you guys removed battery when transporting? And, if I understand you right, ALWAYS re-attach the QC's after use? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt,

My Decker 5'er is going on its 4th year and has been a real workhorse. Have never used it for chemicals, only Ready Seal stains. Shurflo units for chems and an airless for our once in a blue moon Cabot's solid oil job.

One tip you may find worthwhile. Do not use the fold down handle to secure your bucket, keep it raised for easy movement of the unit. Get a proper length heavy duty bungee type strap (look closely at my pic) to strap the 5'er onto the unit.

I use a large marine type battery and generally take it out to lift the unit into the truck. If the ramps are down for the pressure washer, we can wheel it up with the battery installed.

Oh, one more tip. Without a product bucket or battery installed, the decker is very unsteady and tips over easily. Cracked a manifold last year when it "rolled" over, pump side down.

Hey thanks agin Rick! Great tip on not using the handle for the bucket! I saw that bungee in your pic, great idea! i just got done loading it up into my truck for tomorrow's job and was curious about that handle/pale holder set up. I'll bing an extra bungee tomorrow!

Curious about your opinion re: not using the deckster for chems. I've heard different things on this board... As long as clean it out each time, do you think Id be OK? I have a srs600 shurflo unit, waiting for a new pump. Maybe I'll give the shurflo the task of dealing with chems and reserve the deckster for the sealing... Thanks!

Matt,

Its the cleanout each time if you are using both chems and stains that is time consuming and just a pain in my opinion. I hate using our airless for solid oils just for this reason.

As I mentioned, our Decker 5'er is only used for Ready Seal stains. As it is a non drying oil, it never gets flushed or cleaned out for the entire season. At the end of the year, we run mineral spirits through it for awhile, it gets antifreezed, and put to bed for the winter.

Easy, fast, efficient. Plus, I'm lazy!