Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Goof Off

Question

I have been using goof off lately to remove overspray from siding. It works great for removal but today I got a call back. Customer said that some of her vinyl siding is shiny and was wodering what it was and if I would take a look at it. Im thinking that it is from the goof off. It was shiny when I left the place but I thought that it was just slow drying. Anybody else have this experience and know what i should do about it?

13 answers to this question

Don't think Goof Off is recommended on vinyl anything. If not mistaken it is acetone and will etch it.(does on vinyl flooring anyways)..

What you been doing apparently is melting into it ever so slightly to remove the stain and by wiping it off you effectivley both mechanically and chemically end up resurfacing the vinyl to a shine. If you were to leave it on straight without wiping your likely to eat right on through it leaving a deglossed/pitted surface attractive to dirt. You'll be buying new siding in that case..

How about mineral spirits/paint thinner?..think thats what folks use for oil base cleanup on most things. Hitting siding or latex with some soapy water after that is not a bad idea neither.

P.S.-- if the shine is near the edges it could also be that you cleaned oxidation off and exposed some clear silicone type calking material that had been smeared..just a thought. :)

Laquer thinner can also melt vinyl siding. You may just have removed the chalking in that area. It will chalk up and match. Otherwise, a quick cleaning of the whole area with some wax added should help.

Yea they make heaps of products now..maybe the goof off 2 is sufficient.

I'd be careful with using butyl based cleaners or strippers near vinyl as industry discovered a number of years back it can swell it.(again..floors in perticular)

ps- can someone verify what the original Goof Off is composed of? ...Acetone or Lacquer thinner..I forget..

Link to solvent strengths and evaporation speed: ICS on Thinner

In 3 months it will blend, You just wiped off years of degrading VInail. Or wipe the whole house for chalking.LOL

Before I start a house I check the siding and let the customer know they will get shinney spots. They always blend in the end......

easy guys, Jim i hope is talking about this product and not the graffiti remover.

Never had a problem with the graffiti remover...used to use it all the time when I sucked at staining

Never had a problem with the graffiti remover...used to use it all the time when I sucked at staining

I'm confused, never stained vinyl. I'm not following you?

what are you talking about, I was just saying that goof off makes more than remover. perhaps jim was using and alternate product.

Anytime you wipe Chalked siding something will happen. If u get oil on it you will take off some siding chalk. It will Blend in time." Time Heals every thing"

If you fart after a 200 dollar meal is it a good meal or bad meal? Who care's it better smell bad for 200 bucks!!

I'm confused, never stained vinyl. I'm not following you?

what are you talking about, I was just saying that goof off makes more than remover. perhaps jim was using and alternate product.

You said you hoped Jim was using something other than graffiti remover. I was assuming you meant that graffiti remover was bad for vinyl. Ive used it to remove overspray/drips on siding with no problems. haha sorry if that was worded weird

I've always used Krud kutter to remove any overspray. Never had a problem . Goof off never worked well for me. I even buy the Krud Kutter in 1 gallon containers so I can add a little to the water to clean up the airless. Even those stains that clean up with thinner will come off vinyl if you remove them the same day with Krud Kutter

Andy