Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

100% Sodium Percarbonate: What Should I Mix Into it?

Question

:lgwave: Hey guys, man am I looking forward to a day off this weekend!

Okay, so a good pal of mine sold me a 50# bag of straight Sodium Percarb. I want to use this on some deck jobs next week, never used the straight stuff however. Im thinkin Im gonna need to get some surfactant in there to get my vert dwell up on an arbor Im shooting. Any tips for a good mixture? Thinkin' some TSP? Dont want to blow myself up!

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

Matt..look up the 'apple sauce' thread and find the part where I modified it substituting percarb for bleach. Careful with the soap additive mentioned though as the ammonia in it kicks things off pretty good..could blow closed containers and yerself up if ya go nuts with it. Just a good squirt is all ya need.....You can boost the other two ingredients to get you to where you need to be but mix well or use a good nonclogging type application method.

...I wanna see that 4k redwood deck..what ya puttin on it?

p.s.--PC no go with SH

Here's a formula from The Chemistry Store.

The Chemistry Store.com - Wood Deck Cleaner Formulations

I am not a chemist by any means, but I would guess you could just mix in some TSP and be okay. Maybe a cup for every 10 cups of Percarbonate. You should be able to find it locally. I'm not sure where you might find soda ash on local scale. Maybe a place that sell water treatment supplies and softeners.

Wikipedia...

STPP is a solid inorganic compound used in a large variety of household cleaning products, mainly as a builder, but also in human foodstuffs, animal feeds, industrial cleaning processes and ceramics manufacture. STPP is widely used in regular and compact laundry detergents and automatic dishwashing detergents (in powder, liquid, gel and/or tablet form), toilet cleaners, and surface cleaners. It also provides a number of chemical functions including: sequestration of "water hardness", enabling surfactants to function effectively; pH buffering; dirt emulsification and prevention of deposition; hydrolysis of grease; and dissolving-dispersing dirt particles.

This one not bad with the 4 to 8 oz info..

Oxygen Bleach-cleaning Tips and Formulas

I've went up to about 12 oz per gal. along with upwards of a cup each of the tsp and borax. All the black dead stuff just starts foaming and boiling out on verticles..Good stuff..but hey be careful if ya use the borax as it is of course a toxin and can be dangerous to plants, insects, animals, and humans..

They say hot water activates it to work better but that isn't always readily available less you ask customer to use their bath tub..Not a chemist but I think the squirt of the ammonia based stuff might cause same effect as if using the hotwater.

Matt,

If I recall from the pictures you posted, that redwood has little or no stain left. Straight sodium percarbonate should work just fine. Have used it for years with no additives. Its not like NaOH stripper where you have to keep the wood wet.

Soak the wood well and do not worry if it dries. You should try to mix the percarb in very warm to hot water, maybe 6 - 8 oz. / gal. Mixes much better and quicker.

The problem initially is off gassing. Chokes Shurflo type pumps. We usually start with a backpack pump up until the mix cools down, then use the Shurflos.

After a couple of hours the percarb loses effectiveness. Keep the mix fresh.

Matt,

Yes, I GUESS! We use a Decker 5'er which I think is similar to a Deskster. Pump Tec pump. Have never used any chems through it, only Ready Seal stain.

EFC38 should also be just fine. Again, never used it but I think its mostly sodium percarb with some sodium hydroxide for some "kick". Anyway, soak the wood and get at it.

Charlie,

When you mix sodium percarbonate crystals into water, it releases a ton of gas, I think it is mostly oxygen. This tends to "choke" a Shurflo pump, ie: too much gas in the line. You cannot get a good steady flow of liquid through the pump.

The reaction will slowly fade after 10 min. or so.

Well, ran out of EFC38 yesterday...gonna mix up a batch of the straight percarb for a deck job Im headin out to in a couple of hours... Any suggestions on straight percarb mixture with water? Ive heard mix 12 oz. p/gallon... Any other input? Thanks!