Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Mahogany wash-out

Question

I applied some Ready Seal to a Mahogany deck on Tuesday...Finished up around 2:30 and the deck looked gorgeous........We got torrential rain for a few hours late that night and now the deck looks washed out...The Mahogany is so tight grained that I guess the Ready Seal didn't stand a chance.....Will a light re-application with RS solve the problem?..............

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

15 answers to this question

Will a light re-application with RS solve the problem?..............

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I don't see why it wouldn't work Yaz the rain just washed out some of the oil.You can try a test spot to see if you have a problem getting to soak in? Did it make any water spots?

I did notice some spots on the lighter shades of boards.....I was hoping they would blend in with another light coat of RS..

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I would hope there wouldn't be any issues.. Other then recoat on it's self I also wonder how it works over WTW and whether it'll go on through. Reason being is that I know it looks darn deep and rich when RS is applied over the smelly Penofin. (Penofin does happen to show me some film forming on some boards at times)

It failed three months sooner than it was gonna fail (4 months) Ready Seal on mahogany? On any hardwood. A very temporary look good fix. Rapid decline. Every time it rains some of it will wash away.

I guess Jim will be here around 11 pm to hang me for saying this. (Though I think he even knows its true as indicated per his "experiments" of mixing RS with a curing stain)

I did notice some spots on the lighter shades of boards.....I was hoping they would blend in with another light coat of RS..

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I would try to blend in any spots with some thinner then touch up.

I here earlier Ken! Yaz, I gave you my cell 203 558 0968 easy fix. Mahog is the best wood to maintain so don't fret and watch the weather. RS and rain is not good for cedar or hardwood s for about 24 hours. Depending on many factor'oh's. Age of wood, type of wood, if you have a wood and go home for some wood time.

Give me a buz or 203 754 4284 now!

Thanks guys....The poor customers...They are having a party this weekend and wanted to show the deck off....It also bothers me that I may lose potential customers after they see the deck looking all washed-out .......And it looked so good when I finished it.........Damn

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Spent a half hour on the phone with James F today right in the middle of his work day...Thanks for your help Jim...Your a class act..........

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Yaz,

Sorry for the delay, took a bit of a break late this week.

We refinished two mahogany decks this week with Ready Seal and had some serious thunderstorms with downpours, being that we are 30 miles west of you.

Did not have any "washout" problems. Maybe the difference is in application?

Both our jobs were new customers where the wood had to be stripped of old stains. Once brightend and dried, a single, light app of RS was handrubbed into the wood using lambswool. Once dried, another app of stain is again applied the same way.

No problems that I know of. One job was completed Thurs. afternoon and we were hammered with thunderstorms and very heavy rain Thurs. night. Have an estimate on a large mahogany / cedar deck accross the street this afternoon and will check the finish just to make sure.

Usually, if there is a "spotting" problem from unexpected hard rain on hardwoods, a quick mineral spirits rub with lambswool will cure the problem.

Thanks Rick...Let me know how the decks held up.....I thought that mahogany, being a hardwood would only need one coat...Now I know different.....Oh well..live and learn............

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I thought that mahogany, being a hardwood would only need one coat...

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Well Yaz you will find not all decks are created equal to how they soak up stain.IF you are using a penetrating type stain like RS on hard woods you will have to train the wood to soak in the stain.I have to do that with the new PT pine now and will explain this to customers so it's not a suprise if the stain wears off a little faster in the first year n half.It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to wood.You just have to see how it looks as you are spraying the first coats to see how the wood soaks up the stain

So true Shane...Experience certainly is the best teacher...With each new type of wood I come upon there is a lot I learn from my mistakes...The thing though that makes it much less scary is knowing that there is a place to come to for help, support, advice and answers......THIS GREAT WEBSITE..............

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Yaz,

You are more than welcome.

I thought that mahogany, being a hardwood would only need one coat...

When new, often true. As hardwoods age, they will all take more stain. Shane hit it square when he said it depends on the wood itself. There is no hard and fast rule, even with the same species.

One rule with RS on any hardwood or softwood is to get as much stain into the wood as possible.