Sign in to follow this  
mobilemike

Is increasing Price after quote right?

Question

I just recently got into a job and didn't know that i was going to need a lift for and the rental is 150.00. i bid 300.00 for the job. is it reasonable to ask customer for an additional 150 to finish the job and just tell them that it was unforseable that i needed this lift? part of it has to do with inexperience on my part with this particular job.

it seems reasonable to me but obviously i'm biased.:)

have any of you increased or asked for more money when you have gotten into a job?

any ideas would be appreciated.

19 answers to this question

nope. Everyone will have differing opinions but we all have jobs that we underquoted due to inexperience. A lesson isn't a good one unless you are stung by the mistake. Finish it and chalk it to experience.

Big mistake to raise the cost on the customer. You'll look like you didn't know what you were doing in the first place by not foreseeing the need for a lift. If the $300.00 was for the roof only I don't see how you are gonna have to pay out of your pocket for the lift rental. I see no way you have $150.00 tied up in a job like this to this point. You just won't make any or as much money as you had hoped for.

Jeff

I have underbid a few jobs before. I always stick to my price. It usually makes the customer extremely happy and comfortable with you. Some clients really appreciate it and have given me quite a tip to cover the expenses. Customer service is number one. Too many contractors show up to do a job and then start charging more to complete it.

On such a small job $300., what is it you need a lift for? You cant reach it with a 40 ft ladder. You can rent a ladder cheaper and get someone to help you put up the ladder

I wouldnt raise your price, its bad. plus if I had some doing a job for $300 and they wanted to charge me another $150, I wouldnt go for it

Why the lift?

Good luck

Jeff

I've never raised the price after giving the customer a number. I remember one paint job in particular that I probably made less than minimum wage on. Like Ken said, chalk it up to experience and move on to the next one. By the way, that customer later referred me on to other more profitable work. That may not have happened had I tried to raise the price.

Depending on your beliefs and business practices this can be viewed in a few ways. When we did service work, once we did a bid, if we made mistakes, we ate it. It was our fault and like stated before, the sting made us better. However, there will be times that something can't be foreseen and in the middle of a job it take a seriously bad turn. When that happens it seems best to speak with your customer and try to find a mutually acceptable resolve. Some customers are very understanding, some not. Wiegh the pros and cons of the individual situation and be creative. What may seem like the only way to do it on the serface, may lend itself to other ways that can be just as effective. Communicating with the customer is always the best way to not get burned. Just when you think they won't budge, they may surprise you.

i'll try the ladder thing one more time....then a lift. i'll eat the cost if need be. i sprayed some more chem on the roof and just the other night we had one heck of a rainstorm and quite a bit of the algae was washed off, but there is still some that will require some physical removal. yes, experience and this job has taught me well.

i appreciate the responses.

Unless you do something more on the job than what was quoted I don't feel it is right. It is kinda like taking your truck in for service and they quote you $ 400.00 for a waterpump and when you pick it up they say well it was harder than I thought so it will be $150 more than what was quoted or there was a special tool I needed to buy and it cost $150.00 more for the tool. IMHO I would break even or lose money than charge more than what was quoted. I am sure if you get the right tools and get the job done right the customer will appreciate it and tell 3 or more people about how professional you were and did an outstanding job. my .02 worth

If you have not begun the work, you can cancel the contract and issue a new one...or you can submit an addendum to supersede the original and see if the customer is willing to entertain it.

It is pretty tough to get more if you have already begun the work. It is likely you would have to eat the cost and chalk it up to experience.

Rod!~

A price is price is a price. Stick to your quote and eat it. A lesson learned. If I recieved a bill for more than was quoted I wouldn't pay it and it would lead to horrible word of mouth.

I agree with Jeff too, A $300 job should not warrant a lift. You must have other alternatives.

You Bid A Price For 300 And Did Not Reliaze That You Needed A Lift,and You Want To Charge Them A Extra 150.what If I Put A Bid In For 325 And I Owned A Lift,but They Went With You Because You Were Cheaper.in My Opinion You Just Screwed The Coustomer And Very Bad Pr.i Would Take That 300 And Buy A Good Ladder.

Can we assume it is same aluminum roof job as here?: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/up-roof-asphalt-tile-shake-cleaning/11127-help-aluminum-roof-steep.html

Just think you need to kill it good and dead from the ground and go back a week or two later and 0 tip it... Your fears were chem on aluminum though...What strength can he go up to to spot kill it with a chemical pump? Maybe rinse underneith a few times while the spot areas are dieing and drying?

But to answer this topic..No I don't raise price less some uncertainty was discussed or made room for.

Purpose of a contract is to allow everyone to know what shall happen for a specific price.

If you do not perform accordingly, there are consequences. No pay.

You may attempt to re-negotiate, and offer explanation of your inexperience to the client. They may be good natured and honest and see you have underestimated their project. If they can see you have done quality work in other areas, they may agree to an increase in costs.

Never-the-less, you are bound by your contract.

All you can do is the best you can do.

r

i appreciate all responses. job was finished, customer was happy, i never mentioned raising the original quote. customer even said i could use her for a reference.

and yes, i need a longer ladder than the 24ft'er i have. i rented a 32 ft'er, laid it out on the roof and got to the top row of shingles and got it done.

i appreciate the help...as i am a newbe to this business.