Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Favorite Groups

Question

I've been watching the Live Earth concerts today and must admit the cause is great but the talent is not even mediocre...In fact I think todays music for the most part is terrible....The big music execs have taken total control of the industry and have destroyed true creative freedom....My favorite groups of all time are as follows..in no particular order

The Beatles

Frank Zappa/Frank Zappa and the Mothers/Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

Joni Mitchell

Gong

Pink Floyd

Caravan

The Doors

Did I mention Joni Mitchell?...........

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Anyone care to share their favorites?...........

21 answers to this question

Live Earth... Lets see... A bunch of musicians want to save the planet from destruction due to pollution so.. lets have concerts at huge facilites where thousands upon thousands of people will travel by car to see bands who have trucked in tons of equipment with hundreds of diesel tractors, lets generate tons of garbage from food wrappers, plastic cups, etc while selling T-shirts that required energy to produce and used dyes and chemicals to color while the headlining acts fly to their respective concerts in private jets. Yeah, that's a recipe for helping out the environment.

My favorite electric guitar player of all time Robin Trower

I listen to everything from the Allman Brothers to Led Zeppelin. I agree most music nowadays is crap especailly rap. Why someone wants to listen to a drum machine while a guy who can't even sing usually strings together a bunch of swear words is beyond me.

Its funny you mention this. I was just discussing this with Christine (whom is 11 years my junior at age 28). The first thing that creeps up on you as old age is "today's musc is all crap". I happen to think its all crap. Now this is from a guy that considers old Metallica "classic rock" and listens to bands like Korn, Drowning Pool, Tool, and considers Rob Zombi to be a master of arrangement.

Does the music suck or are we just old? Fot what its worth, I still think OG style gansta rap (NWA, KRS-1, Ghetto Boys etc, Snoop) is listenable. Today's rap is just a clone of wannabe rappers, boy bands (which I consider any band with a number in its name) and garbage.

Dream Theater ((They stand alone)

Rage Against the Machine

King Crimson

Pink Floyd ( pre & post Syd)

A perfect circle

Tool

UFO

zep

Terrible Ted ( Nugent)

The Offended Homeless

ACDC

Trans Siberian Orchestra ( Al Pitrelli)

Megadeth

RAP IS NOT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!

appearantly everything offered for consessions were all served with recycled materials, and, even the stage was recycled. What would the world be without music, no matter what the event. The music today is different for sure, but not total crap ( pushing it sometimes). Music is what brings everything together and makes the event if you ask me.

I personally have played for benefits time and time again. Played with some pretty decent names as well. It all helps. Much better than sitting around *****ing about the situations and doing nothing at all to improve on them.

In no particular order except what comes to memory...

Queensryche

Journey

38 Special

Ozzy

Aerosmith

Dio

Metallica

Def Leppard

Billy Idol

AC/DC

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

ZZ Top

Fleetwood Mac

VanHalen

Whitesnake

Motley Crue

...Just to name a few from my long haired rock group years when I was in a few groups. I'm a rocker!

:bandplay:

Take your pick, I played many of them but was best known as a drummer...skinny as hell like Tommy Lee and every bit a rebel.

Rod!~

Guess i have to jump in this one

D.R.I old school trash

slayer

metallica way back when

doors

ozzy

hendrix

bob marley oh ya..one love

suicidal tendencies

my list can go on and on

Not to turn this thread away from the music but.....Thank you Al Gore for being out in front on this one (The environment)................I could be wrong but I have a feeling he may anounce his run for the presidency at some point..It's just a feeling I have....He has never come out and said he wouldn't run and I think he is still miffed about the 2000 election rip-off (decided by the supreme court) which was bull s#&T !!!......I think his stock is very high if he decides to run for president... He is way out in front on environmental issues....People are worn out over this war and need a new and more positive direction to go in....I think environmental concerns is a perfect format for this nation and the world to move towards and it will help us globally in the eyes of the world if we were the leader on global issues...Remember Bush shunned the world at Kyoto....I also think the young voters of america will lean heavily towards Gore after this Live earth showcase of his position regarding the warming of the planet...Don't forget his movie An Inconvienient Truth......People want a president with a more altruistic outlook on the world and I think if Al Gore annouces his run for the white house the american people will welcome him with open arms......We are worn out from eight years of lies, deception and loss of respect around the world......The world needs a uniter at this time...and I think Al Gore is that man.............................Thats just my take on things...Don't tell anyone.............I could be dead wrong................Also.......Joni Mitchell is the bomb...lolo

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

How we go from such a luvly topic as music to the slime of politics?..lol..Oh thats right . the whole Live Earth/ al gore thingy..haaaaaa. I really do like the guys person but there aint no way he is a uniter of these American people..not the majority anyways..

An inconvienant truth was entertaining but it leaves out known facts of ice ages gone before us and higher water levels of the near past to name but a couple flaws. Is twisted when you break it down really and jumps to too many conclusions about co2. Worst part of it is the blaiming of your own race for things out of their control.

I doubt it far fetched to think the majority of folks already know instinctively there is plenty left out of the equations...I'll just leave out the science of it like many do and say we just aint all that when it comes to our influential role upon this Earth, neither is Gore. ...where's my fluffy?.. :)

I graduated high school in 1975 so Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doobie Bros, Steely Dan and of course Robin Trower were what I grew up on. I might have been a bit hastey calling all new stuff crap. I do like some of the newer bands mentioned in other posts. I play guitar and still enjoy a good electric cranked up and heavy. What I don't like is stuff passed off as music with no one singing, no chords, no melody, nothing that defines what I consider music.

As far as live earth goes I don't doubt the sincerety of some of the artists. I just point out the conflict of doing something in the name of environmentalism that is obviously very un-eco friendly.

You guys are babies, I am not OLD but a mature adult yet the best music was even before my time and if a time machine ever could send me back to the 20s and 30s I would flip out on that music.

I am a product music wise of the 50s and 60s, ok late 40s too and my opinion of music is most, not all but most stuff from the 80s on is pure junk.

Now before you burn your fingers flaming me remember what I said at the start of this post. I bet that if the people from the golden era of music were alive today even what I grew up with would be considered junk by their standards.

And I am a beach bum too, spent week-ends and summer at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, walked to the beach daily, about a mile from our home.

Those were the days my friends those were the days.

Jon

Hey Jon... I hear some old music sometimes on the lead ins to that radio talk show Coast to Coast..you know the one about aliens and ghosts..lol..j/k and rockin yer old bones.. :)

But I do wonder if your refering to the big band era, the old country stuff, or the early rockin roll stuff.

I guess I date myself.

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Santana

Amboy Dukes(Ted Nugent)

Moody Blues

Steppenwolf

The Who

Animals

Dave Clark Five

Jimmy Buffett

If you remember the 60's you weren't there.

Debbie Gibson

Britney Spears

Tiffany

Debbie Boone

William Hung

Violent Fems

Party Dolls

Tiny Tim

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

you two are kidding right? Although Brittney does have a nice pooper and she did get caught doing the nasty in the bushes outside of the rehab clinic, so I like her daring drive. WHAT DID I JUST SAY...... SOMEONE KILL ME.

Here's a link to Radio Margaritaville. I discovered it when I was laid up in bed with cracked ribs in August, and it has become a bookmarked favorite. Next time your local station drives you nuts with commercials, try this. It's a nice change! Click the link and then choose one of the media types to listen.

Radio Margaritaville

Beth :island: