Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkBoraPL

Raid bug spray on vinyl siding

Question

I have a job tomorrow with a situation I have not had the opportunity to handle yet. The client had a red ant problem and sprayed a pesticide maybe raid she believes on her vinyl siding. It's been there for over 6 months and looks and feels like oxidized aluminum siding. Here is a pic. Will I have a problem getting this off with my SH housewash mix. I also have some butyl degreasers and aluminum gutter cleaners IE gutter shock.

Camping053.jpg

Thanks

17 answers to this question

No after pictures just because it did not budge. HD 80 seemed as if it was taking it off but when it dried it was back to square one. Magic eraser was torn apart to shreds after a couple of minutes of usage as well. This stuff is lethal. Thank God I let the HO know before hand I can not promise him that it will come off. He was very respectful about the situation and even gave me a monetary tip for trying to get it out with so many different techniques.

I had the same problem on a white vinyl house. Off bug spray was sprayed on several places. Tried everything, but nothing worked. SH would cause the discoloration to run down the side like it was cleaning it but again it was back. Called the 800 # on the back of the Off can for consumer help. Was told that the chemical bonded with the vinyl and more than likely would never come out. They asked me if I did discover a way to remove it to please call them back and let them know so that they could inform other customers with the problem. I have gone back at different times to try something else, the stains have lightened but still there.

Wow...that's harsh. I never would have thought it could be so tough to get that stuff off. Now I know.

Is the stain in a highly visible part of the siding? Obviously if you painted one piece, it would look a different color because the surrounding vinyl faded...so take a piece from around back, put the piece from around back where that one was, paint the stained piece, and put the painted piece back in the back of the house.

Try "Tagaway". It'll destroy any bond and won't harm the vinyl. I recently did the side of a vinyl house. The neighbour had rented an airless sprayer to stain his fence and didn't mask off properly and covered the vinyl with tiny droplets of stain. This happened back in October 06 and I took it off in June 07 using Tagaway. If you have ever sprayed any Raid on yourself it feels kind of oily. That's probably what the stain is, some kind of oil.

Likely no bond to consider breaking here. The carrier in the product melted and etched the vinyl with it's oil color is my take. Anything ya do to it probably just be doing more damage but I still (with disclaimer) would have tried tsp and then oxalic to bleach it. Could work it into being more of a white etched look than an oily look. Some butyl could blend it but note that it can swell vinyl.

Was it mentioned how long ago the raid was applied?.. maybe some time and oxidation will blend it in since you cleaned it. Did I say these are just idle thoughts?.. I really thinks if Magic Eraser didn't touch it then it's done..

the Tagaway may work..but if it doesnt Goof off could be tried. To be honest its probably not even worth going back to this job over and over unless your just determined to solve that problem. Just the gas alone these days is a killer to go back and forth to a job unless your getting paid well to do it.

If your not concerned about the above then the last two things I would try is the tagaway or Goof off.

As luck would have it, I had a house yesterday with BOTH stain over-spray (to the point where the homeowner was thinking of re-siding!) and Raid. For the over-spray, I used a small spray bottle of Roof Magic (straight), let it dwell for just a few seconds, and pressure washed it off. For the raid, I tried RM, Goof Off and Simple Green - non of them touched it. As a last resort, I broke-out my citrus hand cleaner and rubbed it in/rinsed it off - which worked like a charm! Stains gone, hands clean and customer thrilled.

I've never been able to get these stains off. Tell the HO to read the driections on the spray nest time. Some will say "Will not stain siding"