Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Stain Soaked Rag Ignites! Yowwwweee!

Question

I was staining a big redwood deck yesterday. I was using a "fill-in" product "Preserve-A-Wood" as I was still waiting for my RS to get here. Guessing it was around 80 deg. We were wiping down some of the deckboards after spraying with cotton shop rags. I had one of the stain soaked rags in my hand when I heard this hissing sound and felt some heat in my right hand. I looked down to find that the rag I was holding was starting to combust! I quickly tossed in on a brick patio, grabbed a hose, and soaked it with H20. Whoa! The scary thing was that I was appx. 2 ft. from my Deckster with an open 5'er of the stain! Could have been a VERY bad scene!

So this was the first time something like this happened to me on a job. Scared the livin' daylights outta me! I actually posted a thread topic a couple months ago on the subject of safety and combustibility when using stains and sealers. I was curious what kind of system we are using to prevent these kind of accidents from occurring on jobsites or in the back of our rigs with stain soaked rags and tarps.

What kind of end-of-day clean-up and accident prevention systems do you guys have when it comes to working with stain soaked rags and tarps. Ans also, do you think this rag combustion episode occured with me because I was using this Preserve-A-Wood stuff and NOT ReadySeal? Ive read mixed opinions on the flamability of ReadySeal as opposed to other stains and deck sealers?

Any Thoughts?

23 answers to this question

That is shocking to hear Matt that it did it right in yer hand!!

I been interested in that preservawood for awhile now but hadn't tried it yet.

It made up the hill from me aint it? No one knew anything of it when I asked about it awhile ago..could just be out here at our HD stores..

During the heat wave I had some mineral spirit rags get aweful hot and then a 2 layer tarp started smokin and combusting with the wtw.

Is very concerning to me this whole combusting thingy. This new one you present is like wow..how we to prevent that?? Like how's a firecan with water in the bottom supposed to help here?

anyone have a picture of their firecan? I want to get one in my system, any recomendations? Also, how do you guys deal with tarps that have RS on them? Do you spray some sort of de-greaser/mineral spirits on before loading in truck? Seems like a hassle, but I'd like to avoid torching my truck or even worse, a clients house!

I was working on an ipe deck this spring and had a rag start smoking on me. After that I started spreading the rags out to dry when they got too soaked. Now all I do is fill a bucket up half way with water, add a little sodium hydroxide and toss the rags in when I can't use them anymore. At the end of the job I poor the water out, dry the rags and get rid of them.

Works for me!!

WHoaaaa! Thats rough Jamie! What did you have in there? Rags? I think Im going to pick up a large metal trash can with a lid and keep in the back of my truck ALWAYS! If you were on a lunch break and left some wet rags on a clients deck, that could have been REALLY rough Jamie! Sorry about that.

Matt,

Also, how do you guys deal with tarps that have RS on them?

I'm in Reed's camp on this one. Been using RS almost exclusively for the past 5 years and have never had a problem. Does not mean it cannot happen, and maybe I've become lackidasical, but paraffinic oils seem to have a much higher "flash point" than linseed oil based exterior stains.

As far as tarps go, do a search as this was discussed recently. Do know that I've kept RS soaked tarps both in my truck and garage for years without a problem. Just strip 'em when they get so soaked with stain that they become dripping nightmares.

Caveat Emptor.

Bought a big metal garbage can at HD today w/ lid. Thanks for sharing your experience Ken and Kevin... appreciate it. Think Im going to stuff my tarps end of day in that can and bungee the lid over the top too be on the safe side. JUST got a new truck with an 8' bed, so, for now at least, got the space!

Hey I didn't know they could do that :)

Now where's the picture of my van from a couple years back.....

Here ya go Greg i still had the pic saved from a when i saw it.

vanfire.jpg

Matt, No problem...just make sure to put some water in bottom and maybe put some duct tape around outer lip of can part to keep air from agitating things if ya like. The water makes humidity which lessons the chances for combustion, and the excessive air made during driving down the road can induce flamage. I mean just make sure the lid not too loose.

Greg, Good Golly!! what the full horror story behind that inferno?..is there a link to it?

Jamie, wow!. that shed like a 3k$ shed hu?

Scary stuff people... real scary stuff!!

... :) Thanks Shane! .................. oh the memories.

One of the guys left a stain soaked canvas tarp in the truck on a 90+ degree day. He parked it... I went riding my bike for about 3 hours and came back to the van blazing and the fire department.

Linseed oil is not my friend :)

Sadly I had another one burn 3 years ago. A squirrel made a nest behind the passenger side headlight next to the exhaust manifold. Looked pretty much the same when all was said and done. Thank god for insurance :)

... :) Thanks Shane! .................. oh the memories.

One of the guys left a stain soaked canvas tarp in the truck on a 90+ degree day. He parked it... I went riding my bike for about 3 hours and came back to the van blazing and the fire department.

Linseed oil is not my friend :)

Sadly I had another one burn 3 years ago. A squirrel made a nest behind the passenger side headlight next to the exhaust manifold. Looked pretty much the same when all was said and done. Thank god for insurance :)

No Prob Greg hope it didn't bring up to bad of memories or maby the insurance made it feel a little better :)

How did the squirrel taste well done ? ;)

Insurance did come in pretty handy for once on the truck and equipment. Although it put us down a truck for about two weeks while pulling another together. Thats where it pays to have a really good insurance company :)

I had a really good friend that was doing a church service project. They were oiling the benches. At the end of the day, someone, probably one of the kids he was working with, left a rag in the chapel. Mind you it was airconditioned, etc, but about 3 am it went poof, and the 30,000 sq ft church was a total loss. It was pretty incredible.