Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

TGS Forums Privatized - please read

Question

For those who have not noticed the change due to staying logged in, we have decided after much deliberation and discussion, and after many user requests form folks with different areas of specialty, to privatize the majority (not all) of our forums so they are not viewable by the public. Only registered users may login to see the content in the majority of areas. This will also effect TGS's ability to be found by search engines. To see which forums are effected, log out of TGS.

Beth & Rod

22 answers to this question

The engines can't index the private data. Only Vendor, Regional and News areas are currently open to viewing. There may be periods of time during the year we open a couple of teaser forums to entice new users to register, but that's down the road a ways.

Beth

Many members seems to want it. Like I said, we may open some of them up down the road temporarily, or create a new one that would be appropriate for certain topics - this might also allow us to open some back up. We have some work to do first.

The vendor area is open. You should post in there about the RAD line. It will get googled. You might also want to post in the DIY forum at the top. It also gets indexed.

Beth

Neat Idea... Kind of like others who have closed their BBS or privatized areas.

There is another BBS with private forums....

I hope it doesnt deter some people from posting or lower BBS traffic. It would be a crime to loose support from any of the fine paid advertisers and supporters as a result of the change.

Well with all this privatizing did new post ability and posting in some threads get muffed up for me? seems so..

That should not be the case. Let me know which areas seem effected and I'll check the settings. Just PM me.

Beth

Beth...I think that is a good idea, it worked for us at TGP..we also have a screening process for new registering members, they aren't automatically in just because they sign up. Lot's of turkey lurkers out there trying to swipe valuable info without contributing in the least---I can't stand those people!!

Beth & Rod,

Your site, you do what you want. But I do not agree or care for this new restrictive policy for two primary reasons.

The first is self serving. Over the years customers have found my company through TGS. Related is what Ken mentioned, Google ranking of my company's web site. TGS has been beneficial to my business. Now, aside from a few contractor referrals, it is no longer valuable in generating new business.

Second is a libertarian trait and a historical observation. The pervasiveness of the internet has changed the old autocratic access to information. Proprietary software, ideas, and information is slowly falling by the wayside. It is a much more egalitarian model which will only grow over time. You are going against the flow.

We only work on exterior wood so that is my perspective. Contrary to others, I could care less that my competition or DIY's learn proper techniques and access to good products. Actually, I welcome it. The more professional wood restoration companies become, the better it is for all of us. I would much rather sell to an educated consumer or bid against a competitor that does high quality work. And DIY's will always be around. Makes my job easier when they finally become tired of doing the work themselves.

Ok folks....

I am posting polls in all the forums, specific to that individual forum. The polls have been made "sticky" and are at the top of their forum. Please vote for the forums you feel you want open or closed. The point being please take the time to VOTE.

Beth :groovy3:

Am for the the areas that discuss CLEANING trades/bid/marketing/review/contractor help areas as private. Am for areas that discuss news/new products/chemicals/equipment/environmental areas as public...

Am for profiles being public. I'm for Ken and Rick though also so I am tainted and on the fence.. :)

ttt.lol..

ps-- good golly..we're to have all them sticky polls clogging up the 'new post' area for like ever now since they pop up every time anyone votes....man o man!...gonna be a fight of the fittest for the regular threads..roar little doggies!..roar! :)

Am for the the areas that discuss trades/bid/marketing/review/contractor help areas as private. Am for areas that discuss news/new products/chemicals/equipment/environmental areas as public...

Am for profiles being public. I'm for Ken and Rick though also so I am taited and on the fence.. :)

Just make sure to vote... ;)

Beth

who vote.. me?.. NEVER..lol

Here is idear for ya... what ya do is every month or so ya do yer own sitemap work with a crawler. (Remember back a couple year ago when I offered?) So anyways then you submit it to the search engines and if ya time it right you open the whole site up and let them crawl with the info ya gave them.

That way all new posts are indeed searchable on internet and you still drive people in. They will be forced to register if they real serious and will just move on if they not interested in spending time with it.

I'd do the crawl work fer like a c note and send ya a file every month....abit more for actual submission ..:)

I thought it was completely different, I thought you were going to lock her down so no one could view. I thought maybe a membership fee was going to be required.

I think this is a great idea for TGS, TGS being one of the strongest bbs out there will do fine.

You already have the highest log in traffic amongst PW BBS.

Good luck and I guess will see how it works.