Sign in to follow this  
John T

Linking Powerwashing bulletin boards

Question

Is it a bad idea to have a section here that has links to other Powerwashing bulleting boards as long as they do the same?? This way the connected bulletin boards can form a bond and also when newbies go searching out for a Powerwashing bulletin board they can see the section with the links and go to the other bb's also to post or just read/search. They can also decide which bb best fits to there liking.

Maybe this is a wasted idea since all they really have to do is a google search to find the bulleting boards..Just thinking aloud.

8 answers to this question

I can see where you are heading John and Carlos. Unity in the industry is lacking seriously and contributes to the ineffectiveness of any efforts to formally bring about a common ground.

With all the different facets of pw'ing alone, there is a bit of rivalry and too much "what's in it for me". I see people with that attitude as incapable of seeing beyond themselves and realizing the benefits of coming together for a larger purpose.

With the lack of formal education and accredited training, there is a heavy reliance upon the bbs to fill in the gap. One problem is that the information received here is not tout worthy to anyone. It is without structure and hodgepodge at best.

Yes, there is good information in the bbs, but it will never be able to hold a place in a portfolio to show to a customer. I have heard many say "I don't need that", or "I have my before and after pictures and a reference list and I am doing just fine", or "if I don't know something, I can go to the bbs and ask there". Ok, good for them. I for one am looking for something more substantial to help grow our business. Something that has stature and worth. An accreditation by an organization or national foundation that supports it and brings about consumer awareness to the attributes of its integrity as an official training or certification worth the paper it is written on.

There isn't anything like that in existence and this industry is going to be nothing more than the us -vs- them mentality with arbitrary values to separate the professionals from the wannabes without it. Franchises have little hope of success without any type of official backing to give them the authenticity consumers are looking for.

What can a bbs do? Who will step up to the plate?

Rod!~

The biggest problem for upstarts and veteran cleaners alike are those homeowners who say "well I can buy this and that for less than what your want me to pay." Which I can only say, "best of luck, you seem very determined and if you need me you have my card" Ironically I got a call from a job bid last year, they tried got frustrated and I was able to do the project for less than originally bid....why? some homework cut the learning curve a little more. AND with the other services we offer, I have a customer who will call on me in the future and someone who has spread the word of my work.

There are many great sources of information between many of the BBSs. I try to contribute to those when I feel I have something of substance to add. The biggest or most comprimising thing is many are vendor supported.

But when you want to find an exterior cleaning professional....where do you start...?

Cleaner Times Magazine

I'm not sure if this is a complete list, but it should be close. The "numbering system" next to the different powerwashing boards goes way back to the first time it was tried and I respected the effort. They get to be first for the idea of keeping the powerwashing boards at the top of the list. The next group are the powerwashing boards linked at that time, then then the others as they have come online.

Stay safe & hydrated,

Chuck