Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

staining deck with an airless

Question

First I want to publicly thank Jarrod for his method of spraying balusters with an airless using tarps -flipping back and forth to get both sides without overspray. I did my first deck a couple of days ago with this method - and man - I would have been there forever or lost alot of money on a worker. My airless was like having two extra hands - using my brush every spindle method. It's funny how a worker will never let you know how many hundreds of dollars per week you are flushing down the toilet on them. I love all the methods I have learned here for becoming more and more efficient. I think I would have to gross way over the 6 figure mark - before needing any help. Upselling is also huge - I went to give a quote to wash this house, game 'em a $400 quote, but then gave 'em a quote of $225 to brush the gutters and another $800 to restore and stain deck. A job that took me a total of 9 hours grossed me $1,425. I can easily do that 3 times a week and still go fishing - Man - I love seeing all my neigbors who hired these cheap crews with their 7 guys painting for a week and half and only charging like 7 g's. God those contractors must hate money - cause they ain't making any!

23 answers to this question

Yeah just keep it quiet...or your competition will grow tremendously and all those guys with paintbrushes and lawnmowers will trade in all their equipment for pressure washers lol.

I was at a house last week giving an estimate for a house wash, walkway and retaining wall...and the interior painter was on his lunch break...After he told me a little about how long he had been there and how much he was making, I just said something along the lines of "yeah we make an honest living though"

The problem is that is too many folks start getting into it, what you're willing to do for $1400, he'll be willing to do for $1200...forcing you to either not eat or do the work for $1100...it's a vicious cycle and there should be some type of standard pricing going on in the industry.

David its not about what your willing to do a job for. It has to do with the value of your service. If someone is willing to do a job for 200 less than me, so what. I market professional quality service and people pay for that. It doesn't force you to do work for 1100 at all. Forces me to refine my marketing and sales so I don't even have to worry about competitors. People either hire me with no other bids or they realize that I'm the most expensive for a reason

I still have to work on the atomization, my machine came with .017" tips - but is rated to be used up to a .019" tip. Even at the lowest pressure setting I was still getting atomization - and potential overspray that could settle on a car. So I bought a .019" tip and a .021" tip - so I will see on the next jobs how those do. Hey Beth - I have a gallon of that California Hardwood oil deck stain - I will be sending to you shortly, it's the stain I used on this deck - I think you will love it - the only problem, it's so loaded with fungicides - it really smells, so you have to use gloves and a respirator.

I need some advice on the airless please. I have a deckster type unit wich works great for Readyseal, but not so great with WTW. The spray is too thuck, and too much. Would a wagner paint crew 770 work well for this, or something else. I ended up having to do an entire deck by hand with Sikkens, and was a pain not being able to spray. What is an inexpensine unit to buy and what tips do I need.

? I don't do alot of wood, it is more occasional.

Would a wagner paint crew 770 work well for this, or something else.

Do NOT buy a Paint Crew. I service Wagner products, and this is the one I've seen the most problems with. The Apex 1620 is a good unit. Most of the time when I see one of those, it's operator error...usually improper cleaning. I've got a refurbished 1620 for sale. Lowe's gets $425.00 for it new, I'll take $275.00 and give you a 90 day warranty.

Is it the bigger tip the less fog? I was getting wasted with a 417 which is listed as max size but could I get away with a 419?

And dang russ I totally just bought the 1620

We have been working on the "fog" part and it involves not only getting different tips but lowering the pressure as well. Even with the pumptek sprayers we were getting a mist and in those conditions where the wind is above 10mph we only apply directly. Yep, much slower but keeps you from worrying about cleaning someones car or the house next door.

Rod!~

Why you people want to mess around with tips and pressure blabla bla with an airless I'll never understand.. ya just don't ge it apparently that you'll always be limited compared to a true hvlp...lol.. j/k.. whatever rocks thy boat :)

my preference goes this order for many reasons:

true hvlp,

deckster (in theory),

bucketster shurflo's,

airless,

pump up,

pad,

brush

:)

ps- Charlie, the fogging is from too much pressure..when you go down to 20lbs or so with an air based setup you and Dan both will have no fog persay but yet a controllable atomization.

Changing the gun filter to a different mesh can help with the fogging too. Most people dont realize that the filter selection is just as important as the tip selection.

Andy

Can you explain this a little further? Does using a more fine filter cause fog?

Make sure you have the correct filter in the gun...they also help the misting. The filters come in red, yellow, green, and white and each has a different size screen. I always used the white filters for most applications.

Andy