Sign in to follow this  
mobileoneservices

Ipe Cleaning Issue?

Question

I stripped and stained a good sized Ipe deck last summer, the stain is actually holding up and still looks pretty good. Cabot ATO. The customers home backs up to parkland and a ton of trees. The wood has a good bit of dark (mildew/Moss?) staining, very evident when the furniture is moved and you see the un-weathered section of wood. How can I get this area nice and clean with out lifting up the stain? I tried today for a while with little success. I used Wolmans Deck Brite and also tried Sunbrite's EZ off and wood brightner with a pretty mild mix. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

7 answers to this question

With the old, pre VOC Aussie oil on ipe', we always stripped it off and started anew. Otherwise, the finish would look blochy or muddy.

Not sure of the new formula as we no longer use the product, but the old Aussie oil had tung oil in it. Something in the stain did not strip out well and I think it was the tung oil.

With the old, pre VOC Aussie oil on ipe', we always stripped it off and started anew. Otherwise, the finish would look blochy or muddy.

Not sure of the new formula as we no longer use the product, but the old Aussie oil had tung oil in it. Something in the stain did not strip out well and I think it was the tung oil.

Rick, it is the resin. It locks like a vice, especially if overapplied.

Thnaks for the info, I will try the light bleach cleaning that Charlie recommended. The customer wants this for a party this weekend, and the stain seems ok, it's just got some staining. No way could I strip and re-coat this in 3 days. Also, the customer dosen't want to do that. Thanks again for the ideas.

Scott