Sign in to follow this  
newlook

Which is the best?

Question

This question has probably been asked a zillion times and I am sure it is in the archives somewhere on TGS - I am just to lazy to look LOL :)

Anyway,

Stain - which is the best?

The companies that make this stuff --- how is their customer service?

Which companies ship on time and get the stuff out to you quickly or which companies take their sweet time in getting the product out to you?

Pricing - who has the best pricing out there and a good stain?

Which companies are willing to negotiate a deal on a bulk order?

Terms - which companies demand payment for the full amount before the order is shipped?

What are the guarantees that come with the stain.

Which stain is user friendly?

If you make the stain....please do not chime in. I would like to hear from the end users on this....thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

Hey Scott,

Yea .. I know the information is here somewhere and I should get of my lazy you know what and check it out.

I am trying to gather some solid information regarding stain as I would like to explore some things for the Spring.

Beth, if this thread is going to attract some "hornets" please feel free to pull the plug on it....I can do the research on my own and make contacts via phone....

Good seeing you Scott....hope things are well down in your neck of the woods

I don't think thread needs to be pulled because it won't be the last time that question is asked. But it will bring out opinions.

I am going to dabble around with some wood at my house and I'm going to use WTW.

But Shane uses Baker's Grey away and it looks super. I'd be torn between the two.

Ready seal is a good stain too apparently.

These three are propably 95% of the market share.

Each has pro's and con's that sometime I think a chemistry degree is needed as a precursor to purchasing Stain.

I'll let the pro's give their opinions though. As I'm a "woodie wannabee"

Scott

wood tux solely for me. If you go to google and do advanced search you can type in "wood tux" and for the website have it only search within "www.thegrimescene.com" and youll get tons of results. Cant search it here since tux is 3 letters

Stain - which is the best? WoodTux

The companies that make this stuff --- how is their customer service? Company that sells it = Great

Which companies ship on time and get the stuff out to you quickly or which companies take their sweet time in getting the product out to you? www.thesealerstore.com

Pricing - who has the best pricing out there and a good stain? Woodtux (Deck Stains and Brick Paver/Cement Sealers - Exterior Wood Deck and Paver Restoration Services and Sales)

Which companies are willing to negotiate a deal on a bulk order? No idea

Terms - which companies demand payment for the full amount before the order is shipped? All companies

What are the guarantees that come with the stain. No idea

Which stain is user friendly? They all are if you no what you're doing

If you make the stain....please do not chime in. I would like to hear from the end users on this....thanks in advance!

fffff

Rick,

We are going to offer it at the retail level in the spring of '08. Trying to get a fair idea of who is using what so that we can make a choice based on the merits of the product and merits of the company that make it.

Carlos,

Many "woodies" here use Ready Seal, ESI's Woodtux, or Baker's Grey Away. I think I am correct in saying that all three products are marketed as "contractors only" being that they are distributed through specialty outlets such as Sunbrite, ACR, The Sealer Store and possibly others. As far as I know, none of these stains are available to Joe Public on a store shelf.

We have had a terrific relationship with Ready Seal for the past 5 years. PM me if you need more info.

One thing you may want to keep in mind. I believe California is subject to the same or similar VOC standards as the 7 states here in the Northeast. Have no idea of potential problems with a non compliant product sold by a retailer, but the environmental police and potential liability should be something to consider.

I really like th WTW. but other brands have their uses. Did my first Bakers Gray Away last week. have used cabots solid and semi's and like them too.

If your offering for retail, I think scott at The sealer store has the right idea. Offer everything except what the big box stores offer. As long its a quality product and you can instruct homeowners in the how to's.

Okay....Jon...never thought of offering several brands...good idea. My tunnel vision had me going in the direction of just using one brand only. I can see the benefit of offering a boutique of brands!

Thanks