Sign in to follow this  
dlech1825

look at this

Question

12 answers to this question

I guess that is an instance where reclaim would have been a wise thing?

No that's an instance of not hiring a company that specializes in only pressure washing.I would venture a guess that the landscape company really had no clue what they were doing when it came to cleaning concrete.

hundreds of fish died? Sounds like someone is exaggerating a teeny tiny little bit. If I was the attorney for the guys that dumped the acid into the water, I would ask who counted the fish and for photos of the hundreds of dead fish. I would also find out how much acid, if it was acid, was used and contact a fish expert as to the effect of the acid. Then I woild work to reduce the fine. However, the guy is going to pay a fine, and may have an exclusion on his insuance policy.

Any bets how much discussion this post generates?

Wow...that's really close to where we are and I hadn't heard anything until I read it here. I'm wondering how much "acid" they put down...seems like it would have had to be a buttload to cause that kind of damage.

hundreds of fish died? Sounds like someone is exaggerating a teeny tiny little bit. If I was the attorney for the guys that dumped the acid into the water, I would ask who counted the fish and for photos of the hundreds of dead fish. I would also find out how much acid, if it was acid, was used and contact a fish expert as to the effect of the acid. Then I woild work to reduce the fine. However, the guy is going to pay a fine, and may have an exclusion on his insuance policy.

Any bets how much discussion this post generates?

I'll bet this post generates quite a bit.

Spoke w a long established PW contractor this morn who WILL NOT work in the next town, our county seat, just for the liability of all the enforcement agencies there.

... BTW, IF you were an attorney, here, you would know NOT to ask abt the number of fish. Every one is sacred...

The law was quoted to me, by a local enforcement person... " It is unlawful to increase the turbidity of a stream." He explained for me...

It would be a violation to allow even milk, to pass over the curb and get into the gutter, where it would eventually get into a stream.

Enforcement here in CA is famous/infamous... an $80k Steiger tractor was once impounded as evidence, when a farmer dug up a rat nest. It also stopped the farming on a couple hundred acres.

But that's been abt 15yrs ago... it's worse now!

r

In reality, it does not matter if any fish died or not, or if any acid was used. The law is written so that it is illegal to allow any discharge into the waters of the US. Had the fish not died, nobody would have noticed most likely.

Rich,

Did that enforcement officer actually show you local code saying such with the word "turbidity"?

Would hope they got statements of exception for planned irrigation activities or for other activity like dredging which is allowed under permit via the DFG certain times of the year in consideration of fish run/spawning activity of course.

Best thing for a river or stream in these times of human damming/slower flow and water containment via levee is the digging of deep cool holes for fish to live and unclogging the gravel beds where the fish spawn with a nice big gold dredge. Besides the conservation minded long term effects of temporarilly clouding the water it sure is awesome to be down there vacuuming the bottom up and see the fish come to feed on all the bugs and larvia your machine brings out the stream bed.

But I mention this as often times the gist of a code is created and meant for the general public to follow and sometimes there are commerce minded exceptions. Example would be when they put them water restrictions on during times of drout. They don't apply to business as lively hoods depend on their use of water. I hear them guys back East have problems every year when customers get the impression they can't get things cleaned.

No Kevin, the water quality enforcement guy did NOT actually show me the lawbook, but the appropriate sections of the violation were in the filing.

I went to talk to him, face to face, before things got any crazier, to let him know we really meant to be good guys.

He was a straight up guy... heck, we ALL want clean air and water!

Yes, I understand about dredging. My claims were on a really dirty stream, so it made no difference. but I still had to get the permit.

And the permit is your evidence of exemption.

Otherwise, you could just DO IT.

If u gotta ask permission, it ain't free!

r