Sign in to follow this  
gregative

Having to open gun to start engine

Just started having to hold the gun open to pull start my machine. It is a 1 1/2 years old and have never had to do this. The only thing different as of late is that I turned the unloader horizontal instead of vertical. This made the jumper hose from the unloader to the reel arc up in the air instead of laying down on the deck of the trailer. What gives? Isn't there something called a 'easy start' that eliminates this problem? I guess I really wanted to know why it started doing this all of a sudden.

Pull start ?..yikes!!

I hold open as I want to be on my starter as little as possable. Even though in theory the bypass should just let the water on out and it be no different then trigger open it just isn't. Seems to take a few seconds for things to equalize within the lines or unloader to start passing, as well as the engine to lube and warm up. Warm starts are way easier then cold start.

(what Ron said :) )

I use flow unloaders, so no open trigger for me. I suppose you have your hose all laid out and are not near thr trigger to hold it open though. Use a ball valve and leave it open with no gun or nozzle, and then close it to add them when you get down there.

Easy Start valves will operate in any position. I didn't see that you had mentioned having an easy start valve on your machine. Do you? If not - install one.

Also try backing off the unloader 1 full turn. It could be that you have accidentally tightened it down to far as you were moving it.

Okay here is my take on your unloader problem.

I use to convert a standard unloader to easy start by removing the little spring in the bottom of the unloader. Then the ball fell down in the bottom untill there was enough pressure to suck it up to the seat. It was primative but it worked as long as the unloader was mounted with the large spring up.

Think about it this way.

With an electric start you have this tiny little motor called a starter that doesn't know it isn't a big 16hp motor. You have a positive displacement pump that is 3000 psi. You have to overcome all that pressure plus the compression of the engine. The little starter motor tries to like in the story of the Little Train Engine that was going up the hill. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.n Then it Burns it's self out or the solenoid and that is all she wrote.

Your arm will hurt after you try or the rope will break. So When you pull the gun it relieves the load and the engine starts easy.

I use a flow accuated unloader as well. It relieves all the pressure in my hose and hotbox coils when the trigger is closed.

As far as your problem goes, I would assume all of your techniques are the same as they were before the starting issue. Perhaps you need a new plug. If it is taking longer for your engine to start than it was previosly than you are gradually building pressure every time you pull. Does yor engine currently start with the same amount of pulls as it did a year and a half ago?

Thanks for the help. It only did it for the day. I have a trapped pressure unloader not flow actuated. It does not have a ez start, never needed or thought about one until then. The only thing I have ever done is just make sure that the hose wasn't pressurized when starting, one sqeeze of the gun to relieve it. While on the subject of starting the engine, here's another question. Not to long ago I changed the spark, filter, etc...maintenance. It had gotten to taking 4-5 pulls to start. After the tune up it started on 1-2 pulls and then after short time back to 4-5 pulls. Any tips?

Thanks for the help. It only did it for the day. I have a trapped pressure unloader not flow actuated. It does not have a ez start, never needed or thought about one until then. The only thing I have ever done is just make sure that the hose wasn't pressurized when starting, one sqeeze of the gun to relieve it. While on the subject of starting the engine, here's another question. Not to long ago I changed the spark, filter, etc...maintenance. It had gotten to taking 4-5 pulls to start. After the tune up it started on 1-2 pulls and then after short time back to 4-5 pulls. Any tips?

Are you changing your oil frequently enough? Check the manufacturers specs for service intevals. Replace your plug every year. The 2 bucks for a plug will be saved in fuel efficiency. Check your airfilter as well.