Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Reducing shock/vibration on homemade skid unit

I am in the process of building a steel frame to make a homemade skid unit. I am building a basic box frame out of angle iron. It will have a 15 HP Kohler, gear box, and a TS 2021. My question is, what would be the best way to reduce vibration? I am thinking that I could place rubber feet in between the pump rails and skid frame, and between the skid frame and trailer floor where it will be mounted. Where can I find a good, durable piece of rubber for this use?

I know nothing about gear drives, but it seems that flex from the pump is a real bad idea, but why do you feel you need this? I have an All American skid and there is no rubber anywhere, but Yes it is a belt drive.

As feet for the skid, but nowhere else in my opinion.

What is causing the vibration?

Normal vibration from the engine is usually absorbed through the frame but I am curious if you have another source which could be an indication of something not in alignment or mounted incorrectly.

Rod!~

I know nothing about gear drives, but it seems that flex from the pump is a real bad idea, but why do you feel you need this? I have an All American skid and there is no rubber anywhere, but Yes it is a belt drive.

As feet for the skid, but nowhere else in my opinion.

Could you elaborate on the flex from the pump? I'm not sure I understand. As far as the need for it, the pump rails obviously need support, so I figured some type of hard rubber would be good to disipate vibration on the pump due to it being directly connected to the engine/gearbox.

What is causing the vibration?

Normal vibration from the engine is usually absorbed through the frame but I am curious if you have another source which could be an indication of something not in alignment or mounted incorrectly.

Rod!~

No unusual vibrations, I haven't built the set-up yet. As far as it being absorbed by the frame, I can't imagine an angle iron frame absorbing much of anything. I would think, at the minimum, I would need rubber feet inbetween the frame and trailer floor.

Could you elaborate on the flex from the pump? I'm not sure I understand. As far as the need for it, the pump rails obviously need support, so I figured some type of hard rubber would be good to disipate vibration on the pump due to it being directly connected to the engine/gearbox.

Unless a gearbox is as solid as a direct drive, then it seems as though there would be some play in the connection of the two and the gears. You do not want that pump sloshing around on rubber.

I checked my unit for some rubber cushions, forgot to mention earlier it is the tires the trailer sits on.

Unless a gearbox is as solid as a direct drive, then it seems as though there would be some play in the connection of the two and the gears. You do not want that pump sloshing around on rubber.

I checked my unit for some rubber cushions, forgot to mention earlier it is the tires the trailer sits on.

The gearbox/pump combo is basically like a giant direct drive pump bolted to the back of the motor. Thanks for the replies everyone. I will only put rubber between frame and trailer floor.

If you are making a belt drive you want to mount it on a single solid power plate. Pay special attention to the structure of the length of the plate running parallel with the belts. It may be fine when sitting or not under load but once you pull the trigger you may see the plate flex and the belts will become to be loose. This causes a lot of vibration and damage to your equipment. Reinforce this direction with either angle iron or bends on the plate to add rigidity.

After you have built this power plate you can mount it on rubber feet for vibration dampening or if you plan on attaching it to another frame use the vibration dampeners that have bolt coming out of the top and bottom with rubber in between.