Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

What type of unit?

Question

15 answers to this question

for an 8gpm would i need a tank or does a building put out that much water? That would be nice, I just don't have something to haul a tank around in.

Another potential problem is it is a direct drive pump. I've never used a DD, but everyone seems to think a belt drive is better. I have a belt drive, 4yrs old, never had any problems & only replaced belts 1 time.

I like the 5.6 bought from Envirospec, one of our vendors that help support TheGrimeScene. It is night and day from the smaller machine I used before.

8gpm would be awesome! Name of the game is production. Only way to do that is gpm's.

r

Northern used to have their skids made by HydroTek. Not any more. As I recall, this skid was not designed by anyone who has ever pressure washed, so it suffers from some (not fatal) design flaws. (I saw one at my local pw shop recently.)

As far as the direct drive goes, I have had both, and until there is a problem, you really won't be able to tell the difference. Direct drive doesn't draw well from a tank, so your supply must be at least slightly above your pump. Direct drive pumps cost about the same to maintain and rebuild as belt drives, but tend to be less expensive to replace. In my personal experience, I have gotten about 1500 or so hours between rebuilds.

4 GPM is good, but more is definitely better. I run 5.6 GPM now, and the bottom line is more volume saves time! That means more money in your pocket. If you can swing it, definitely go with at least the 5.6 TS2021 General Pump.

That's actually a good price for the rig all things considered, esp. for Northern. The down sides have already been mentioned. If you are a new startup,and funds are tight, then, I think that would definately get you up and rolling.

With the right marketing and advertising it could pay for itself inside of a year (mixed with all the other expenses of a new startup). Then get more and better equipment(toys) after you start growing.

Not bad for what it is.....

other Brands include Simpson water Cannon's or Shotguns (swear by them, myself), Altec, Briggs, Honda and a million others.

Alot of your purchase decision will have to be based on the application you will be using it for. You don't want to be stuck on a large project with a small pump. Better to have more and not need it if possible. Higher psi and gpm will get you to the next job quicker.

Would like to know your thoughts on this unit?

NorthStar Gas-Powered Hot Water Pressure Washer with Honda Engine — 4000 PSI, 4 GPM, Skid Style | Gas/Hot Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

Also what other brands would you all recomend and why? Thanks

One of the most important things to consider is warranty service. Who will provide it and are they close enough that you don't have to travel a great distance to get service.

For this reason alone I recommend hydrotek units. They have a large repair network for them and most are close enough to limit your down time if you happen to need service.

my .02

Rod!~

It would be easier to help you if we knew what you planned on cleaning with it. Generally speaking higher flow is better, but not always

90% of my work is house washing.

One of the most important things to consider is warranty service. Who will provide it and are they close enough that you don't have to travel a great distance to get service.

For this reason alone I recommend hydrotek units. They have a large repair network for them and most are close enough to limit your down time if you happen to need service.

my .02

Rod!~

I have a warranty service guy 1 min from my house who would service these units.

I bought a 5.6 gpm a few months ago after having smaller machines for the last 4 years. The difference is amazing. I would never go back to anything less than 5.6. I would love to move up to 8 gpm but then water supply would be a problem. Even doing house washes with my 5.6 I am glad I have a 500 gal. water tank because some house taps don't keep up.

whats the max gpm i could run only using water from a building in general. I would love to havea tank, i just don't have the ability to haul one right now. maybe somtime next year.

Here is what i have now.

NorthStar Professional Series Pressure Washer 4000 PSI, 3.5 GPM | Gas/Cold Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

It gets the work done. I really don't do alot of flat work although I have been getting some calls for that, which is why I am looking at more gpm. For houses its fine. I can do a 2 story ruff 2500sqft house with this in about an 1.5hrs by my self from arriving to pulling out of the drive.