Sign in to follow this  
James

Sealing composite deck

Question

12 answers to this question

Jim,

We have done a estimate of 250/300 composite decks with in the last five years or so.

Prosoco does have two sealers that they make for the Trex company. One is called AfterKlean and the other is called Composite Protector. The wording on the containers and instruction lables are extremely limited to not using the words "sealer". Because the big deal when composites came out is that you were not needed to "seal" the boards. Well, now since the mositure is getting into the composite boards and attacking the wood fibers this is why the mildew spots are occuring.

So now there needs to be a sealer to be applied to the composite to try to keep out the moisture from getting the wood fibers wet. The products made to be used to seal the composite decks use words to hide the phrase "Sealer" because it was advertised at first no maintanence decking which ment no sealing.

We have done several, using two different products.

The first was a product I had seen in 'cleaner times'. It was a 'parifin type' product - went on milky white and dried absolutly clear (no added color or sheen). It had no effect on the apperance and the water beaded for only a few months. when I cleaned it almost a year to the day it was if nothing was ever on it - no beading and soiling/mold was apparent.

Second, we used 'composite deck protectors' by Rock-Industries. This product is clear but leaves a sheen - the composite had an obvious return of color, like it was wet. This was put on the same deck we put the other product and immediatly "Mr. Complainerpants" (my customer) loved it over the other product. This was just put on in July - I've not been back to see it, but I have not heard from "Mr. Complainerpants" - so I'm thinking it has not failed and is still doing its job. I will give him a call soon.

BTW, anybody that has been around a bit may know Charlie Wolfson (he used to work at Wolman). He works at the Rock -Industries - I talked to him about the product, he is a very good resource.

Happy 'Sealing". Ooops! I mean 'Protecting'

tim McCulla

Wasn't aware of the mold spore issue on the Tred Deck materials. I figured the gurantee from the manufacture was a little hard to believe. I have had 2 customers ask us for installation quotes but that is as far as we got with Trex.

I hear it is easy to install...true?

Jim-

If you are looking for a clear then you would want a Breathable Silicone/Silane/Siloxane Water Repellent. This product goes on like milk but dries clear with no color change. We sell a brand that was developed for concrete but we having been using for years on trex and other types of composites.

SuperSeal-M Concrete/Wood Water Repellent

If you are looking for a stain to revive old and discolored Trex, then I would suggest the Messmers Composite stain:

Messmers Composite Wood Deck Stain

James, I applied a linseed oil based product to the HD Veranda product and tossed them out back at the woodpile a couple months ago.

Except for rain the last couple days, it's been hot and dry for the most part.

Probably to soon to see how it holds up, and they will get no wear.

r

Parafin evaps off pretty quik in the sun. Probably just as cheap a solution to just wipe it down with Alboline makeup remover (mix of parafin,petrol jelly, mineral oil) or just carnauba spray wax the crap..melt either it into a jug of 2-butoxy..

Plastic and wood..what a joke!!

There is a product that Trex recomends for their decks. It is Anti Growth or Protex made by Anti-Growth. We have used it and it works good. We did a deck and the guys missed a small area and we went back a cople of months later to clean this small area, it had mildew and mold spots on it already

I think the tricky part of sealing will be or is making sure all the mold is gone. The last one I did was brutal and I soaked it twice then had to acid for tannin stains. I love Trex!