Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Wood-Tux out of vinyl siding?

Question

We did a job a couple of months ago, and we sprayed Wood-Tux, and I guess it was too windy to do that. And, stupidly we didn't plastic the house, so there are spots all over the vinyl siding of this house. The homeowner called me last week wanting me to get it off, so how do I go about doing that? The vinyl is not painted, it is just factory vinyl, so is there a way to get the spots off?

Thanks in advance,

26 answers to this question

A little stripper will work...if you have some HD-80 (diluted), you can use it. Goof-Off works but can discolor siding. It's too late for degreaser, although a good degreaser works when it is wet.

Beth

I hope there's no oxidation:(

If so you'll have to watch for nice bright areas where you end up cleaning. If that's the case you might have to get all the oxidation off from the affected areas. I had to do it because of a gutter job I did once, it went pretty fast with F13 though :)

Yea ya know S & J may be giving some awsome advice above especially if ya mesh it with a slight cleaner soak first.... Haven't yet tried the magic eraser on stained vinyl as I don't tend to stick myself in that position in first place but if'n I were in that situation with cured stain on vinyl I would give it a go first with the eraser. Best dang cleaning invention come up with in some time in my opinion. Has characteristics to it unsurpassed by anything else. As example... nothing works better on finished vinyl flooring to remove scuff type marks without hurting the vinyl or the finish in most cases. All depends on how dry you use and how much pressure you apply. Often times the scuff will have such a profile or penetration (oil tar) that a putty knife or a 3m pad can't get without gouging or scratching too much.. In comes the eraser for almost any situation I run into. Most often I run it just ever so damp to almost dry. Once you introduce water to it it deforms and looses its juice somewhat.

Well with that said,.. haven't yet tested it on vinyl with stain on it.

Fair enough.. you tested it Fenner or ever mar with the eraser? Thing I see with it is it so fine abrasive it like polishing if used lite. When I mar with it it only at a satin level and that is only in case of non durable waterbased acrylic finish.. Am interested what it does in other situations where there no finish or also interested what it does to stain on exterior finishes. In the house we use on counters and the semi gloss enamel walls for the kid messes and even real lite on brushed stainless.

lacquer thinner - if vinyl is oxidized, you'll be needing to apply TSP and sodium hydroxide - scrubbing vinyl - and high pressure rinse. By then you will have gotten the wtw out probably anyways - but if not, lacquer thinner will get rid of the rest. And trust me on this - I ripped off a roof and forgot to blue tarp one side of this 25 yr. old white vinyl siding - so I had all those asphalt shingle streaks that I got rid of 100%. So if I can get that out - you can get out wtw.

Daniel,

I'll add Yes lac will get pretty much ANYTHING out as there is so much in it in way of various solvents but what are you left with?

Vinyl surface can very easily be totally ruined if soaked with lac..only ever so slight wiping at surface and then a rinse with some cleaner could be advised. What ya think?

Dare to use my lac after/jasco remover methods (used on concrete) on a vinyl floor or siding and you will have a crumbling chalk like mass that absorbs anything in sight in way of dirt or pollutants a week or so later...haha. been there done that..good thing such cases are last ditch and a test bed, otherwise huge liability would be at play.

ps- indeed the above example is a viable and usefull vinyl floor removal method that can be used before scraping it up. I might even use it on upcoming job and do away with pnuematic scraper.

Kevin - once you get rid of all the chalkiness of vinyl siding with repetitive cleanings with TSP/Sodium hydroxide and high pressure rinses. All the vinyl will be fresh and shiny - and then anything that remains in the way of wtw, can then be easily removed with lac. without harm to the vinyl.

Kevin - once you get rid of all the chalkiness of vinyl siding with repetitive cleanings with TSP/Sodium hydroxide and high pressure rinses. All the vinyl will be fresh and shiny - and then anything that remains in the way of wtw, can then be easily removed with lac. without harm to the vinyl.

Fer sure..understood. Should it be said by way of a quik wipe or no?

Perhaps you missed the jist of what I mean to convey...Do not use such solvents as lac or James acetone (or straight goof off) on vinyl haphazzardly without abandon and expect to not soften and ruin it unless it some modern magical vinyl resistant to solvent.

Okay, I went back and tried HD-80, easy-off oven cleaner, and krud kutter, all to no avail. So, I picked up some extra-strength magic erasers and I'm gonna go back tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for all of the replies.....

You're gonna have to go the solvent route. I don't think Magic Eraser will touch that stain if Hydroxide won't. You can use the original Good Off or can try Goof Off 2, try the second first which is water based. If Goof Off the original won't work, go with a mixture of laquer thinner and acetone. You'll need a pretty stiff brush, handheld.

Alright, I got it off! I went through 10 extra strength magic erasers, but I was amazed! It just came right off with some elbow grease thrown in. I don't know what is in those things, but I was really impressed. I've got to get some Proctor and Gamble stock.