Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Chappy's first IPE

Question

Alright, finally got my hands dirty on some IPE. Here are the pics.

its 5 yrs old never finished. total of about 2000sf. all Ipe except fascia and supports.

Started with EFC 38 but changed to downstreamed HD80. then bleached and neutralized with Citric acid.

(I really like the way Citric works. no more hacking coughs while spraying it like ox.)

post-4622-137772192542_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192565_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192576_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

not a lot of furring but it definately needed sanding. I was amazed at how rough the wood was. Serious splinters .

heres whats left of my Osborne brush, wore off at least half the thickness. and some pics of the wood ready to finish. the black marks in the third pic are actually damage from water draining off the dock roof.

I decided not to sand every spindle (174 ft of them) but regretted it when applying the stain to them with a hand mit. Ive been digging out splinters for days.

post-4622-137772192595_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192607_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192624_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192666_thumb.jpg

and lastly the finished product.

The customer did not like the red in the wood so she opted for a mahogony finish, But I did not add enough red tint and ended up with a dark brown. Its nice but hides the true colors way too much for my liking.

Customer did not know what kind of wood the lounge chairs were made of. Not teak anyway. unfortunately several slats and pieces had rotted away.

post-4622-137772192635_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192645_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192656_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772192677_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah. Before I get attacked. I had oil booms all around. Just took them away before the pics.

Thanks Celest for all the help and advice. Ditto Ken Fenner.

Also, half way through, I smelled smoke and heard fire trucks converging. I took off to get some sodas and saw that there was a dock on the other side of the lake up in flames. Huge fire. When I got back, my pile of rags, which I had been keeping an eye on all day was smoldering!! I guess this was trully my lucky day!

Great work Jon!!! You learn something every day

You know i don't do wood, at the ACR meeting Rick Petry pulled out a short piece of the IPE, man that stuff is unreal, heavy as lead. That is some crazy stuff

How does anything (stain) penetrate it

The fish were jumping everywhere, so Im sure i didnt kill any. Your looking at less than 2 oz HD80 per gallon mixing with millions of gallons. So Its really not an issue. If it was a small pond id think otherwize.

Jon, it came out very sweet. You really can't go wrong adding red. The stain is very forgiving, so its hard to add too much. Mixing that tone that you made 1/2 & 1/2 with WRC probably would have given you a tone more to your liking.. more like ipe looks like when it is wet.

Me and a helper about 45 hrs total. exactly 10 gallons of woodtux. it really soaked it in, probably due to some accelerated aging as evicenced from all the mildew exposure.

Ken, I actually mixed some red tint in, to get more of a mahogony, but when I went to mix the second batch, all the red was at the bottom of the pail from the first batch. so the second and third batch I didnt put any red into it. The lady hated the red color of the wood when it was wet, so I had to go brown.

Never heard of anyone use a mit for the spindles. Does that save a lot on the stain in comparison to spraying. Where can you get them? Does it get on your hands?

Also, did you have to sand all the boards?