Sign in to follow this  
Peak Mobile Wash

Real difference between 4 and 5 GPM?

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I am going down to Jordan Pressure Washers in Denver to look at a machine and trailer today. If I do not get the trailer I am ordering one just like it with a 200 gallon tank. He has one skid machine built and in stock now that is 6 GPM, if the price is right I am going to get that one. If not he said that he will build me a 5.4-5.6 GPM unit that will be ready in 6 weeks. Thank you all for the great advice and steering me towards a machine that will work much better for me. Now my only problem will be a smaller tank but hopefully after a good year this year I will be able to upgrade my truck.

Ok, I have breezed through this one and feel the only point not covered (unless I missed it) is the consideration of supply flow.

Unless you are tapping a hydrant 100% of the time, you will encounter water supply issues.

Not all commercial hose bibs deliver 4+gpm's which can affect your ability to continually work while on large projects.

Many here have 300 - 500 gallon tanks to help buffer this but eventually the tank can run dry especially if you run low on a previous job before heading to the next as a result of low flow on one or more job sites.

I didn't see a tank size specified in the original question of 4 vs 5 gpm units so I am mentioning this for the basis of consideration of your final decision.

For the benefit from our experience, we have an 8gpm unit (2-gun capable) which helps to get a job done quicker due to the faster rinsing capabilities of a higher flow unit. We have a 180 gallon tank for our unit to draw from. The size is due to constraints of space inside the Sprinter van. If you are intending to mount all of this on a trailer, you may need to consider the load bearing capabilities of it to hold the tank when full (8 lbs/gallon). 300 gallons = 2400 lbs not including the tank weight itself which is about 3/4 lbs/gallon = 225 lbs + 2400lbs = 2625 lbs

The pw'er unit you buy will then determine the overall weight of the load. Then pick your trailer accordingly. Also, can your vehicle haul this load? Need a transmission cooler installed?

For comparison, we are residential service providers for the most part and in using smaller gpm units vs higher ones like a 4.6 gpm unit, we still run into supply problems where we are caught waiting for the tank to fill because of supply water not being sufficient to meet the demand of the unit. Having a large tank does help, but since we can have 2 or more houses in a day lacking in sufficient flow, it slows things down due to waiting for the tank to fill.

Yeah yeah, I hear you guys, get a smaller unit to keep working, but then the pressure to flow ratio drops as well and we cannot wash 3 story houses from the ground as effectively.

Overall, the differences between a 4gpm unit vs a 5gpm unit for commercial service are marginal in my opinion, but considering you are doing commercial primarily, I would recommend the 5gpm unit anyway. The cost is not much more considering in a short time, the higher gpm unit will pay for itself in time saved and more work completed vs a 4gpm unit.

Tank size is a better question for you to consider at this point.

Food for thought.

Rod!~

So...The water hose from the job site fills the water tank in your van which the unit draws from? therefore getting all the flow it needs. This is my only real misunerstanding in this whole business with using water tanks. An I would like to go with the Sprinters as well. thanks

If a house takes 2 hours to clean with a 4gpm, you will knock off a lot of time with 5.5gpm Save at least an 1/2 hr or MORE per house. Add it up 100 house save 1/2 hr thats 50 hours saved you could do another 25-30 homes with the time saved. think of it as 50 hours saved at an average rate of $100 an hour, thats $5K, pays for that machine in no time

Dont worry about carrying a lot of water, you will not need to in 99% of jobs

Jeff.....Bottom line...... straight from the manual ( if there is one ) words of wisdom. nice!!!

my .02 is this.... as a one man op, there is a very prosperous avenue with wood resto as well. Since I am sure deck washing will be included more often in the resi market. You will see alot of it. Might as well learn the resto side of things. Not that commercial doesn't pay well. But, there can be an overwhelming fatigue whereing so many hats int the commercial side of things as a 1 man op.What always feels best to me is that wood resto has never been on a Net 30, 60, 90. I have actually done better $$$ with resi than comm. But that is just me. Decks pay better.

I guess I just like it simple. Best of luck in whatever direction you go.

Happy New Year to everyone as well...... it's been a while.

Jeff.....Bottom line...... straight from the manual ( if there is one ) words of wisdom. nice!!!

my .02 is this.... as a one man op, there is a very prosperous avenue with wood resto as well. Since I am sure deck washing will be included more often in the resi market. You will see alot of it. Might as well learn the resto side of things. Not that commercial doesn't pay well. But, there can be an overwhelming fatigue whereing so many hats int the commercial side of things as a 1 man op.What always feels best to me is that wood resto has never been on a Net 30, 60, 90. I have actually done better $$$ with resi than comm. But that is just me. Decks pay better.

I guess I just like it simple. Best of luck in whatever direction you go.

Happy New Year to everyone as well...... it's been a while.

You are right commercial or what I like condo type stuff is tough on a 1 man operation