Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

MY one Question?

Question

This is something I have not figured out yet. How you use a 8gpm all day with a water tank and not run out of water in 2 seconds. Do you fill the tank with the residense water while doing the job? Anyway I like to know what you guys do. Thanks

Dane

12 answers to this question

I know how I don't run out of water....I use a 5.5gpm instead. I think going from a 5.5 to an 8gpm machine - although extremely fast just opens up a whole new can of worms - and imo not worth it if you are doing just residential. Guys who like to wash fleets or miles of pavement - it makes a difference - but rinsing a house? Or a deck? Must be lovely hauling around 525 gallons of water to jobsites.

Its usually not a problem at all> I have 2, 8gpm machines on different trailer. I dont haul ANY water at all, well maybe 50-75 gallons. I get to the job, hook up water to house or biz 1st and start the rest of the setting up, I have a 275 gallon tank on one and another 325 gallon tank. Set everything up and start washing, very very very rarely have to stop for water to fill tank

If you dont have water supply on a job and you have to keep refilling, yes I will use a lesser GPM machine

I know how I don't run out of water....I use a 5.5gpm instead. I think going from a 5.5 to an 8gpm machine - although extremely fast just opens up a whole new can of worms - and imo not worth it if you are doing just residential. Guys who like to wash fleets or miles of pavement - it makes a difference - but rinsing a house? Or a deck? Must be lovely hauling around 525 gallons of water to jobsites.

With the 5.5 do you get plenty of water from the house/building? Do you use a tank/what size? I do 99% res so a 5.5 would be fine. A 525gal tank would give me...95 min of water which is plenty for a house maybe two but then I am goin to have to fill the tank a couple times a day. Can you fill the tank at the res while your washing?

With most houses you will have 4-5 gpm flow from the faucet. If you have a 100 gal tank you can start half full, hook up at the house and fill up while you're pulling lines and setting up then go at it. Remember that you will stop periodically and the tank will keep filling then, while you're working it will be filling at half the rate you are draining it.

However, if you dont already have an 8gpm unit and you're plannning on doing mostly resi., you really should stick with 5.5 or lower. You will not see that much increase in productivity unless you are doing commercial work.

Dane, you put a float valve in the tank, so you hook up and turn on the faucet when you get there.

As the tank fills the float valve turns the water on and off while you work so it doesn't overflow, you don't mess with the faucet again until you're done.

The first few times you may drive away with more water then you want to.

After you get the hang of how much water you use on a job, you'll know when to turn the faucet off during your rinse, that'll bring the water to the level you want to drive away with.

Im looking into getting a 8 gpm for my commercial acct. We use 5.5 and 4 gpm now and we dont have a problem keeping water in the 275 gal tanks we use (most the time). We have 2 trailers set up with a hot 5.5 in front and a cold 4 gpm in the back and there are some locations we have to stop to let the water catch up due we run out. But not with all jobs. I think an 8 gpm will do good if you just start off with some water in it and then keep it flowing into the tank. Most res. will put out 4 gpm and most comm. will do more then that. Just my 2 cents.

With most houses you will have 4-5 gpm flow from the faucet. If you have a 100 gal tank you can start half full, hook up at the house and fill up while you're pulling lines and setting up then go at it. Remember that you will stop periodically and the tank will keep filling then, while you're working it will be filling at half the rate you are draining it.

However, if you dont already have an 8gpm unit and you're plannning on doing mostly resi., you really should stick with 5.5 or lower. You will not see that much increase in productivity unless you are doing commercial work.

Same here...... sometimes i find a house that has low water pressure,, but i just have to let the tank fill up.... i have 150 gallon tank and with the house hose hooked up i usually dont have a problem with my 8 gpm