Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Let's talk truck's

Question

I want a discussion on trucks. I don't necessarily want to discuss the particular merits on one brand over another, because we all know tha Ford's were best, until last weekend.

I want to know what you use as guidelines in purchasing a truck.

1. New, lightly used, or very used?

2. Why do you buy trucks that way?

3. How much do you think that it costs you to run the truck for expenses such as repairs and maintenance, and cost of the truck?

4. When you buy, do you prefer 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or a medium duty truck?

5. Gas or Diesel? Why?

6. When you buy a truck, is it all bells and whistles, or a stripper? Maybe bells and whistles for you, and a stripper for the crew?

So what do you think?

My philosophy.

I bought my truck used, with 10,000 miles on it, because it was a good deal, and Scott is about making money. :) I recently bought a truck new for an employee, it is a stripper, but is also a Super Duty. Previously, I bought an optioned truck, but found employees don't appreciate it, and just abuse the truck. SO I saved some money this time.

When I buy a truck, especially if it is dedicated to towing a trailer, or is anticipated to towing a pressure washing trailer, I want a 3/4 ton. Sometimes, it is a dual use truck, and it still ends up being a 3/4 ton.

My truck is Diesel. I drive enough miles in it that I can justify the expense. I actualy do a spread sheet with anticipated costs before I make the final decision.

My employee truck does not see nearly as many miles, so I bought a gas motor. More than enough guts to get it and a trailer moving. He also only drives it about 400 miles a week. So no justification for a diesel motor.

My other employee truck also sees about 300 miles a week, but it never tows a pressure washing trailer, so I bought a Toyota for a specific service. It is excellent for what it does, although everyone prefers driving the larger trucks.

Since I know what kind of abuse some of my trucks go through, beyond driving from point to point, I buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer, to cover any potential problems.

So enough of my ramblings. What do you do about trucks?

Scott Stone

79 answers to this question

okay it's my turn. i have had 5 ps all crew cab's and have loved them all and i have had great luck out of them .....i had a work truck flat bed style it had over 250,ooo on it and was put to the test ......and come out smelling like a rose at the end . just did the nrom. maint. on them and ran like new ........just me thinking out loud .....david

No, I have a good friend that is a certified Powerstroke mechanic, and is also one of the best mechanics in the state, if not nation, as stated by multiple other mechanics. He told me what Fords guidelines were when I got the filter, and then I researched it a little by calling the filter manufacturers. (why yes, I can be a pain in the rear, Surprised? didn't think so...)

I guess that states that have emissions inspections have had a real problem with cars that have a K&N, and some other filters not passing emissions due to loose tolerances. They attribute it to sand and dust that got past the filter.

Scott Stone

Scott,

I still plan on following up on this. K&N is used extensively off road.

With the factory air box fully funtional, I can't see how the filter would pass sand.

I could see this in the open element design that both brands sell.

As far as failing emissions checks I can see that happening.

The big problemn I have is knowing wether or not the wrong filter has been purchased.

Not doubting you in any way. I just like to see printed data regarding the facts.

All I can relate is that with the K&N installed, I notice an improvement in mid range power, especially when towing.

Not measured by fancy equipment, but rather the old seat-of-the pants feel.