Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Let's talk truck's

Question

I want a discussion on trucks. I don't necessarily want to discuss the particular merits on one brand over another, because we all know tha Ford's were best, until last weekend.

I want to know what you use as guidelines in purchasing a truck.

1. New, lightly used, or very used?

2. Why do you buy trucks that way?

3. How much do you think that it costs you to run the truck for expenses such as repairs and maintenance, and cost of the truck?

4. When you buy, do you prefer 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or a medium duty truck?

5. Gas or Diesel? Why?

6. When you buy a truck, is it all bells and whistles, or a stripper? Maybe bells and whistles for you, and a stripper for the crew?

So what do you think?

My philosophy.

I bought my truck used, with 10,000 miles on it, because it was a good deal, and Scott is about making money. :) I recently bought a truck new for an employee, it is a stripper, but is also a Super Duty. Previously, I bought an optioned truck, but found employees don't appreciate it, and just abuse the truck. SO I saved some money this time.

When I buy a truck, especially if it is dedicated to towing a trailer, or is anticipated to towing a pressure washing trailer, I want a 3/4 ton. Sometimes, it is a dual use truck, and it still ends up being a 3/4 ton.

My truck is Diesel. I drive enough miles in it that I can justify the expense. I actualy do a spread sheet with anticipated costs before I make the final decision.

My employee truck does not see nearly as many miles, so I bought a gas motor. More than enough guts to get it and a trailer moving. He also only drives it about 400 miles a week. So no justification for a diesel motor.

My other employee truck also sees about 300 miles a week, but it never tows a pressure washing trailer, so I bought a Toyota for a specific service. It is excellent for what it does, although everyone prefers driving the larger trucks.

Since I know what kind of abuse some of my trucks go through, beyond driving from point to point, I buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer, to cover any potential problems.

So enough of my ramblings. What do you do about trucks?

Scott Stone

79 answers to this question

Gav,

I like the front end style of the 02' better than the slant-lights on the 03' and newer. But, I'll have no choice when my lease runs out.

I wanted the 2500HD crew cab, but it was a little too pricey at the time. The rebates were about $2000 less, since it was aimed for business use rather than personal use. I figured if the biz continues to do well, then I'll look at a pricier truck. But at this time, I really don't need it, but rather I just wanted it. Big difference between need and want.

Tony,

So true man. I just had my 98 hooked up to the computer and they told me they couldn't believe how good it was running. Said it was at 100% efficiancy. At 85,000 (I just past it) I put all new wires, rotor, cap, and plugs. I put in those Bosch Platnium +4's......man, what a difference! The power increase was obvious right away and I'm getting better gas mileage with a smoother running engine. I almost don't notice my trailer.....almost ;)

I was telling my wife that since my truck is paid off and I don't really NEED a new truck that I'll just put some bigger tires and new rims on it. Jokingly, I told her I was also going to add some "naked girl" mud flaps and curb feelers too. I really do want the tires and rims though.:cool:

Russ your a brave guy to trust that duramax as word on street is they are not near as good as Cummins then Ford.

However we each chose what we like and feel is best for us and no one can change our minds.

You've got to get the wheels and tires. They are what sets off a truck. Since yours is paid off, and you probably aren't planning on getting a new one, you deserve it. ;)

I have wheels on mine, with 285's. It doesn't improve the fuel mileage any, in fac t it dropped when I put them on, but it sure does look nice when it is cleaned up. 114,000 miles and I still get compliments on it nearly daily.

Scott Stone

Yeah, I know I'll lose some gas mileage but there is something to be said for a decked out truck. I think apearance does matter in business and when you look like you've got it together.... then you usually do. You can throw wheels & tires on a piece of crap and it'll look cool. I keep my 98 really clean (I actually wax it every 3 months). The mechanic I just had it in to for a general check up told me he ate his lunch of my engine. Now that's clean! I still get asked "what year is that?" all the time. Most people don't take care of their vehicles like they should. There's a reason my truck runs as good today as it did the day I drove it off the lot.

The other thing I want to change is my running boards. I want to take off the flat ones I have and put on the round tube shaped ones. My wife likes the flat ones because it makes it easy for her to get in and she like the "sandpaper" grit on them. But it IS my truck :p

But it IS my truck

Are both names on the title? if so better not let her hear you say that remark above or she might say it is HER'S too and change the color.

Flat vs. round running boards, have had both, round are slippery when wet so you might think twice.

Jon

I like my boring stock flat running boards. On the 99 I had, I had different boards,(Non-stock) and I liked them, too. I do think that the tube nerf guards would be slipperier. My wife likes them though, but guess what? It is my truck. She has her own!!! (Actually an Excursion, but good enough)

Scott Stone

Heard that saying but this truck is in my name only, mama has no say so concerning it.

Hey she got her trip to Hawaii so I got my truck, just that it did not get delivered before she got back, bummer as I planned to pick her up in it.

I do love those pickemuptrucks:)

Originally posted by beyoungsr

Tony,

The dreaded Wants and Needs.

We do have to be realistic don't we.

Used it many times to keep myself on course!

It is going to be sunny and in the upper 40's tomorrow! I want/need to take the company car for a ride ;) Sometimes I'am realistic:D sometimes I'm not!:)

For us here in East-Central Illinois it really feels like Spring! And yes I use it many times to keep myself on course.

May need to putt around on a tractor or two, too! :D

Dave Olson

Actually she isn't on the title but I ain't even going there :sonic:

Nice ride Dave!! I was looking at a beautiful forest green 69 last year. Once the business gets rolling that's one of the first things I want to get. Was it the 69 or 70 that was the last year of the 454 big block?

Not sure about the last year for the 454. This one is a '72 with a 350, 4 speed.

Lets you forget about pressing things for awhile! :cool: Still a tad cold to take the T-tops off!

Dave Olson

72 was the last year for the 454, I think. My parents had a 72 impala, with a factory LS7 in it. It was a COPO for a dealers father. I think that they bought it 6 months old. It was FAST!!! Unfotunately, it was sold before I was ever able to drive it legally. My older brothers al had a really good time with it, though.

I think that was the only Chevy my family ever owned, but it was a good one.

Scott Stone

When I get one it won't be any newer than a 72. My wife wants me to get one but won't even let me look at anything even close to new. I love that hot-rod era of cars anyway. like 64 - 76. Seems like ANYTHING made in the 80's was crap! Doesn't matter what car or brand.

Scott, you might also consider tinting the windows so people won't see you growling like in your mug shot....;)

BE..... I have a hard time with the WANTS and NEEDS. Fortunately my wife helps me with that.

Gav, throw a K&N air filter on your truck. You'll be surprised how it improves mid-range torque. Also switch to Mobil 1 oil, and I'll bet you see an improvement in gas mileage.

The windows are alreasy tinted. :D I second the filter, but I use an airaid. I traded some work for it. The K&N doesn't filter the air well enough for me. The Airaid has a smaller particulate that it allows through that is within OEM specs.

Scott

The windows are alreasy tinted. :D I second the filter, but I use an airaid. I traded some work for it. The K&N doesn't filter the air well enough for me. The Airaid has a smaller particulate that it allows through that is within OEM specs.

Scott

Scott,

I could be wrong but, I beleive that K&N flows more air than any other filter on the market.

It also meets all o.e.m. specs.

It flows more air, but the information that I found when I researched is that the particulates it lets in, especially when it has been freshly cleaned are too large. That is bad Karma for the Turbo, that diesels have, and for all the other moving parts. K&N says it meets OEM specs, but you need to find out what the particulate size it lets pass through is, that is the difference

Scott Stone

It flows more air, but the information that I found when I researched is that the particulates it lets in, especially when it has been freshly cleaned are too large. That is bad Karma for the Turbo, that diesels have, and for all the other moving parts. K&N says it meets OEM specs, but you need to find out what the particulate size it lets pass through is, that is the difference

Scott Stone

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I will check into it.

I expected that the filter would actually pull less air after washing and oiling.

I am very interested in the finding the facts. Never have seen taht stated anywhere though.

Is that a claim that Airaid makes??

Sounds like it might be media related.

Darn, way to many I's!!!!!!

No, I have a good friend that is a certified Powerstroke mechanic, and is also one of the best mechanics in the state, if not nation, as stated by multiple other mechanics. He told me what Fords guidelines were when I got the filter, and then I researched it a little by calling the filter manufacturers. (why yes, I can be a pain in the rear, Surprised? didn't think so...)

I guess that states that have emissions inspections have had a real problem with cars that have a K&N, and some other filters not passing emissions due to loose tolerances. They attribute it to sand and dust that got past the filter.

Scott Stone