Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Let's talk truck's

Question

I want a discussion on trucks. I don't necessarily want to discuss the particular merits on one brand over another, because we all know tha Ford's were best, until last weekend.

I want to know what you use as guidelines in purchasing a truck.

1. New, lightly used, or very used?

2. Why do you buy trucks that way?

3. How much do you think that it costs you to run the truck for expenses such as repairs and maintenance, and cost of the truck?

4. When you buy, do you prefer 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or a medium duty truck?

5. Gas or Diesel? Why?

6. When you buy a truck, is it all bells and whistles, or a stripper? Maybe bells and whistles for you, and a stripper for the crew?

So what do you think?

My philosophy.

I bought my truck used, with 10,000 miles on it, because it was a good deal, and Scott is about making money. :) I recently bought a truck new for an employee, it is a stripper, but is also a Super Duty. Previously, I bought an optioned truck, but found employees don't appreciate it, and just abuse the truck. SO I saved some money this time.

When I buy a truck, especially if it is dedicated to towing a trailer, or is anticipated to towing a pressure washing trailer, I want a 3/4 ton. Sometimes, it is a dual use truck, and it still ends up being a 3/4 ton.

My truck is Diesel. I drive enough miles in it that I can justify the expense. I actualy do a spread sheet with anticipated costs before I make the final decision.

My employee truck does not see nearly as many miles, so I bought a gas motor. More than enough guts to get it and a trailer moving. He also only drives it about 400 miles a week. So no justification for a diesel motor.

My other employee truck also sees about 300 miles a week, but it never tows a pressure washing trailer, so I bought a Toyota for a specific service. It is excellent for what it does, although everyone prefers driving the larger trucks.

Since I know what kind of abuse some of my trucks go through, beyond driving from point to point, I buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer, to cover any potential problems.

So enough of my ramblings. What do you do about trucks?

Scott Stone

79 answers to this question

Scott in answer to your remark about smokin wacky tabbco and surfer days, well all I can say is THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND!.

Just having fun with another guy with a few grey hairs! Besides Dave has to ask his wife for permission to drive it anyway, it is her toy and a nice one too!

You guys mention Ford diesel as noisy, I find that to be wrong, Dodge is yes and from the inside too, my Ford is very quiet inside and not because of my hearing or lack of it either, I can tell the difference.

Doubt me ask Remy she can too!

I was concerned with cost after the warranty....i bought the additional warranty on the dodge....so i was safe for 5 years. One thing that I do is never drive it with the overdrive on....I've heard that its not good when hauling weight ( I carry 500 gallons of water and a diesel machine) besides...i hate that sound of the engine straining when in overdrive. I have to say this....there's no rust on the truck..not even the frame. Had similar brake problems.....fixed that by going to a harder pad in the front. The rears are still original with 90k on them.

I also like the fact of seeing a hood in front of me....the Isuzu's make you wonder what would happen if you are in a head on. Looks pretty easy to be launched through that big window.

Andy

I had a 99 Ford that I hit an ambulance with. (Yes, It had lights and Sirens on when I hit it. It didn't when it entered the intersection, though, and I did not get a ticket.) I hit it at about 45 mph. I was towing the trailer unit that I had at that time, with 450 gallons of water on it, for a total of about 8000 lbs of trailer weight. The Airbag did not go off, and the damage did not even damage the cab of the truck. The Front end was toast, and the frame was bent, so my insurance company totalled it. I had a bruise from the seat belt on my shoulder, and my guy did not have anything.

I had another truck that happened to be parked about 3/4 of a mile away, and while I waited for the police, he ran and got the other truck, and we were down for the two hours it took to investigate the accident. Worked the rest of the day, although I did kick off a little early though. I was a bit shaken up from the whole mess. Got to love metal out front.

Scott

cost per truck,,, newer one are less than mine,,, however i save lots on insurance.... I only have 6 that are worth full coverage. the others are liability only.. that pays for there maint.

My sales drive new and my self.. in the fleet only one other is covered full.

Scott,

What would I change in my truck:

Here is the wish list

I wish it was quieter like the new psd's

I like the torque and power increase of the new engine. Though it still has short comings.

I wish it had the new heavier transmission even though mine is adequate for pulling the t.t. and enclosed p.w. trailer.

I wish it had climatrol for the a.c.

I wish the rear seatwould fold down for like the Chevy's do.

I wish it had a 40 gallon fuel tank.

I wish I would have got a long bed instead of the short bed.

I wish I would have got the split bench instead of the buckets.

I wish the truck didn't depreciate as much as it has.

BEyounger,

Some of your wish list can be had, Transfer Flow being the best can install a larger replacement fuel tank as several other places that make them too. There is a place in TX that makes and installs them too, not sure where they are.

I love our Captians chairs, would not want bench sets.

Noise, what noise?

Love the short bed, the Dodge was a long bed but we needed it to tow our 5th wheel with.

Want torque, Dodge now has 600 pound torque!

What I wanted and here in CA I had to explain to every salesperson what it was was an "idle controler" Scott told me about it and would have come in handy during the summers of 100 plus here when I want to keep the engine running with AC on.

Wish I had the filter system for outside air, would remove the smell of smog and other stuff.

What is climatrol for the a.c.?

I have given thought to a larger replacement fuel tank, I mean 29 gallons does not last long.

Andy you can drive with OD on with no harm on level or almost level roads, when going up hills always turn off, that is standard rule for all Ford and Dodge. (not a Chevy fan so who cares!)

I wish the back seat was wider! easier to sleep on when taking short naps. Hey Scott how often do you roll off yours?

Jon

The service manager at Ganley Dodge here in Cleveland advised me not to use the overdrive. I've never had a transmission problem with it and it has 90k on it now. Besides...like I mentioned, I like the feeling of power when it is out of overdrive. In od it seems to be sluggish.

Andy

The one thing I miss is that humming sound when under a load that Cummins makes.

Ford is so darn quiet I can't tell it is diesel.

I was advised to turn off OD going up grades and use it as a brake on down grades. I do that with the Ford too.

I am balanced, so I don't roll off the back seat when taking a nap. It only happens a couple times a month though, so maybe it is just enough shut eye to get the job done and me home.

I never turn off my OD when towing. Up hill down hill, I don't worry about it, and have never had any ill consequences from it. I have 112,000 miles on it and probably about 75,000 miles of it is towing a trailer, so I can say it has been problem free.

And only Jon would say that the Fords are too quiet!!!

Scott Stone

I've got two ford cargo vans that I bought new from the dealership. Ive used many used vans in the past but I got tired of them breaking down all the time. We usually average about 100 miles a day on each of them but we do more than just pressure washing so we travel around the county every day. That's why I bought them new.

Henry

I bought my 2000 Super Duty used in November 2000. Got new car rates on the financing since it was current model year.

Its an F-250, SuperCab, with a long bed. No major problems to speak of, except for worn out lower ball joints in the front. Just turned 60K the other day.

I had financing approved to buy a new truck when I stumbled upon this one on the side of the road. The guy was just putting the sign in the window.........bought it the next morning.

It's an XL.......no powers..........but if I bought new it would have to have power locks and windows............that just drives me nuts not having them. I like not having carpets, however.

I had front end problems with a 2001 Ford 150 4x4. 60k must be the magic nbr...that's what mine had when I got the bad news. I couldnt tell you why I havent had that problem with the dodge...I carry a 500 gallon water tank plus equipment and no front end problems (although I have heard that they are noted for that).

By the way, Mike, that is one nice looking truck.

Andy

Thanks. I'm told they wore out because the factory ball joints can't be lubricated. Aftermarket ball joints can, and therefore are expected to last longer.

Plus, I plow snow with the truck.........so the front end takes some serious abuse.

Thati s wierd, I have never had problems with my front end, but I have heard of others that have. I would probably end up doign it myself, to save a little money. I hate doing ball joints.

Scott

So far no problems there, wonder if Ford has any suggestions on how to maintain them?

OR can we install aftermarket bearings that can be repacked?

If so what brands would be best or all equal?

what do you think about vans?? i'm just getting started and not ready for a big truck yet. though i will be by next winter for plowing. f250 super duty, crew cab, desiel is the only way to go.

but back to this van thing. i'm thinking a full size chevy work van. chevy b/c of the low deck heigth. i currently only have a washer and a 275 gallon tote. i'm in the market for a surface cleaner and a heater. so with that said. 9/10 times, i wont need the water tote, if so, i have a trailor. the rest of the time, i can easily put the washer, surface cleaner, heater, hose and accessories in the van. and lets not forget that the side of the van is a perfect rolling billboard. any thoughts??

If your buying new, I think the coolest vehicles are those mini box trucks..........they are box trucks without the dual wheels in the back...........almost the same size as a van, but you have a roll up door and walls you can actually hang stuff on.

I think they're ideal for light duty use. I want one for a deck cleaning/sealing truck.

There are some peopel that swear by van's, especially for fleetwashing. If you always have access to water, I could see alot of advantages to having a van to work out of. Unfortunately, I seldom have that kind of access, so I have to have my tanks to haul water with.

And you can put a LOT of stuff inside a van. I don't know what kind of trucks Mike is talking about. I would like to see a picture.

Scott Stone

I've had all Chevys. First was a 93, which I bought used. Then started leasing, a 98, 2000, and now an 02.

All 1/2 ton 4wd, short box extended cab, gas with all goodies, since I use the truck for work and personal use.

I tow 2 different trailers, depending on what I'm washing. The bigger trailer is 6000# loaded.

None of my leased trucks have had mechanical failures of any kind. If I had to tow something heavier, I'd move up to 3/4 ton or beyond, but so far, not needed.

The trucks average about 13 mpg city towing, which isn't too bad.

The good experiences I've had with Chevrolets convince me not to look at Ford or Dodge, of course that's just my opinion.

Tony, I've got the same thing. A 98 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab short bed. I get about the same mileage as you also. I've never had a problem with my Chevy. Runs very strong. Am considering moving up to a 4 door 2500 on the next one though. Do you like the 2004's? I too use mine for personal and business. Also considering a box truck, I would love to have that much room. That inclosed trailer gets tight.