Sign in to follow this  
anthony szabo

Managing our industry

Question

This is just a brain Fart with a idea!

Some of you may know me and other's may not. I try to stay away from all the other bb's because their are just to many any more. Beth has done wonders with her site and grabbing the professional traffic to this site.

Great Job over the years Beth!

Is there or could there be a advisory board with only a select bunch of people offering advice to the new comers? Or a complete web site just for the Teaching of this industry for the correct advice. We can police the best actuate information for new people getting involved in the Pressure Washing profession.

In order to be a on-line advice column the one's giving the Professional advice must meet the criteria of how many xxyrs experience, gross sales to be xxx,xxx for so many years, has insurance, has been on a console or done something to help change our industry towards a positive movement, for examples, as the application should read.

And all of this must be prov en on paper and tax returns that way no one bull sh**s their way in.

These are just thought and ideas.

With something like this we know that all the new people trying to break into the Pressure Washing Profession are getting solid and correct information.

Thoughts

51 answers to this question

Aw c'mon Jeff.......I kinda liked being the Queen for a moment - how am I supposed to be a Queen if the King abdicates? LOL

Even a King has to be humble sometimes. Long live the King TPWKOMB

Queen Celeste, has a ring to it

Long live the BB community

Hey King......what are you doing up?

Its called sick kids and a crazy cat. Plus when do I ever sleep right.

Good luck, at the meeting today. I wish I could be there to show support, I understand some of the other Myrtle Beach guys are going. We have a nightmare from hell parking garage with absolutely no water drains to finish , plus sick kids, mothers Friend in from Boston that I have to get to the airport

From what we are hearing it was a fan-dam-tastic meeting, a solid step forward.

Keep up the great work, and remember it takes the help of many people working together to make an impact, so please - let's all work together to make our industry better for all of us.

There are no kings, no queens, we are a team!

Beth

Great words of wisdom, Beth. The adverserial relationships of the past have gotten the industry nowhere. Its refreshing to see the guys down south get together and bring the PW'ing business into a positive light. Congrats to all involved.

It was a great meeting! Details are here: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/severe-weather-drought-information/12524-drought-meeting-media-coverage.html

The PWNC has always shared and will continue in the future to share any information with any effort and movement - only difference now is that we will let EVERYONE know what we do and when we do it. In NC, gone are the days when pressure washers are just a little unorganized group of businesses who can be picked off individually. WE ARE the folks to deal with in the Carolinas - we publicly established that fact yesterday and have several plans to implement to continue bringing the message home: We are not a disposable industry!

It was a great meeting! Details are here: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/severe-weather-drought-information/12524-drought-meeting-media-coverage.html

The PWNC has always shared and will continue in the future to share any information with any effort and movement - only difference now is that we will let EVERYONE know what we do and when we do it. In NC, gone are the days when pressure washers are just a little unorganized group of businesses who can be picked off individually. WE ARE the folks to deal with in the Carolinas - we publicly established that fact yesterday and have several plans to implement to continue bringing the message home: We are not a disposable industry!

We are not a disposable industry!!!!!!! Just dont get to cocky, you never know who is reading these post. just a thought Celeste. Ya never know if state Big brother is reading. Good luck

Are your services disposable Jeff? Don't you market safety and healthiness to your customers? How does anyone expect to maintain clean living and working environments if pressure washers are unable to clean?????

We are NOT a disposable industry. That isn't trying to be cocky, it's a matter of fact. The pressure washing industry delivers services that given the way the world is today, are not luxuries, they are necessities.

Are your services disposable Jeff? Don't you market safety and healthiness to your customers? How does anyone expect to maintain clean living and working environments if pressure washers are unable to clean?????

We are NOT a disposable industry. That isn't trying to be cocky, it's a matter of fact. The pressure washing industry delivers services that given the way the world is today, are not luxuries, they are necessities.

I might have written that incorrectly. I agree totally we are not disposable and thats what I was saying with the !!!!!. The cocky stuff i was just trying to say your other lines about the about let everyone know and we are the folks to deal with. I was just trying to help, if some Gov official sees this, they might think they are the ones to deal with and take it out on the PWer another way. i might just be being a little to cautious or I might be thinking theres Big Brother watching this:devil:. I must be being a conspiracy kind of guy. since the PWNC is in its infancy, being diplomatic might work well, just trying to be constructive. Hell what do I know, I'm just a pressure washer from MB. Good luck. Hope for rain, lots of rain

Thanks Jeff. I see your point exactly and I can see how that wording may appear to have been overzealous. What the PWNC would like to emphasize is that now there is a unified voice for the power washers.

In Raleigh, when the Task Force was put in place, the vice president of the Car Wash Association got on board. Car Washes are not taking near the hit we are. Hmmm, wonder why. Power washing companies were a good target to take out because without each other, we can be picked off one at a time. Now that we have established a group - a growing group - we have the strength of numbers to allow us to work smarter, not harder on changing things.

Strength in numbers :club::applause: I know you must of been excited about the positive coverage, rightfully so. Congrats

I just wish it would rain already and take care of this whole mess you all are having to deal with.

Even if the heavens were to open and and drop the 15% deficit we need (although NOT AT ONCE PLEASE!!), it is still so important that we stay pulled together. In an industry that is unregulated, we have to be responsible for ourselves. We have to be responsible for furthering our education. We're responsible for 110% of our success or failure. It makes more sense to utilize what is available, especially when it is tailored to the profession that you're in.

Also, drought is not the only thing that can cause bumps in our business. We need to make sure that we are ready to meet ANY circumstances head on with suggestions or solutions so that we stay in business. What if the City of Myrtle Beach suddenly began enforcing something that adversely affects your business I'll give you an example right in your sandbox.

There is a gentleman (homeowner) in Myrtle Beach who wants to do something different, something that is against the old, unwritten rules of Myrtle Beach....and he is going at it alone. It's been going on for YEARS now. Had this gentleman had multiple other homeowners with similar plans to back him up, to throw in their ideas, been able to make a showing in numbers...maybe this man would have gotten his property problems cleared up a long time ago and saved himself several hundred thousand dollars in frustration and delays.

Do you participate with other business communities in your area - as a business, not necessarily our kind of business but just a business in general? If not, WHY not? Businesses on the whole have to stick together in order to keep government from mismanaging areas of growth among other things. Myrtle Beach is clearly not in danger of running out of water but the mentality that is turning the area into Disneyworld on steroids is changing the environmental circumstances of that area dramatically. Somebody is going to notice that eventually and raise a stink. And it will affect the cleaning industry.

What if the state decides to say pressure washers have to be licensed? Are you going to go to fight it alone, or would you rather have a network of fellow professionals in place to stand by you? I'm sure the state would listen to you for about 5 minutes but do you have the back up to show where as an industry we have relatively successfully regulated ourselves over the years. If an organization were there with documents, history, etc... they would HAVE to give you more than 5 minutes simply because you have back up.

With that said, those who elect NOT to be participating members of the network will still benefit from what the network does - clearly the PWNC would not go into a situation to support what is best for the contractors in the industry and then as a footnote say, "oh but it's only for these companies". The PWNC is there for ALL contractors in the Carolinas.

So what you trying to say? I should join the PWNC:)

Some real good points Celeste

keep up the good work

I would join any cause at this point. Cant hurt to network with fellow contractors.

I have gained much info and money networking with others.

What if the state decides to say pressure washers have to be licensed? Are you going to go to fight it alone, or would you rather have a network of fellow professionals in place to stand by you?

See, we are there already in Maryland. But I'm not sure the licensing analogy fits. WHY NOT be licensed? Why fight it at all? Why skirt around a law for example by having a job on two invoices to stay under a certain dollar total to avoid the license? I know of companies in some states that do that, and based on their total work...should NOT. What does it say about the ethics of the company and about their integrity? I can say from experience, that where it is required having a license for home improvement does make a difference to your business. It costs us less to be a licensed home improvement contractor in MD than it does for many other things.

Beth

What does it say about the ethics of the company and about their integrity?

As my late grandmother would say, "You said a mouthful there!" :lgbugeyes

I think several of us could share some stories about lack of ethics and integrity.

As my late grandmother would say, "You said a mouthful there!" :lgbugeyes

I think several of us could share some stories about lack of ethics and integrity.

That's for certain. I need to go no further than my pm box to retrieve some questionable tactics used by some.

I think people should believe only what they see and not what they hear.

People like to spread lies.. sad sad sad

Don, I'll be out in Fl, its impossible to not have to travel there. Family family family. Uncle and aunt,sister best freind. All right there in winter haven and tampa.

My uncles a DADE county cop.

I spent alot of Time in FL when younger.

I want to meet Chris, maybe we all can get a little meeting together if its possible?

So what you trying to say? I should join the PWNC:)

Some real good points Celeste

keep up the good work

Yea Jeff crack the lock off of your wallet and join that group because its in your neck of the woods...and you don't have to be a Hillary jock strap to get in:) I don't know if Celeste takes small donations from outsiders like myself who likes to stay on top of this stuff but if she does and there is a small benefit for me in doing so such as helping a cause then I just may donate a few bucks....... I also plan on donating a couple of bucks to the RFW as soon as I get some monies owed to my company. So far I have one company who is stiffing me out of a $4300 dollar pay day. He is over 4 months late and he;s giving me the runaround. Once I get his money this is when I can donate a few bucks....untill then money is a little tight because I'm storing some of it away because of my concerned for the economy and the $4 diesel gas prices that allready hit here.... I am going to have to hustle like I never did before to make this a better year then last... Hustle is the name of the game

John T

Damn someone must of stole the key to my wallet, because theres always money flying out of it. I have joined several orgs these past few months and put a lot of $$$ out on such, Thousands$$$ in fees and advertising stuff, brochures, fliers etcetc. I was just waiting for the commercial end of the PWNC website to be up and running. I full hardly support the PWNC efforts, especially on this drought stuff, I hate that theres brothers & sisters that cant wash., I have donated to the RLF and offered a donation to PWNC a few months ago. I was just waiting to see where it goes and to be honest, to see what benefits there is in for JL. A lot of the stuff was geared towards residential and that is why I was waiting to see the rest.

Heck John, with all that overtime pay you get from your full time job and you PW biz, you could donate to 20 orgs and not even feel any pain. whats a NYPD cop making now with OT, 200K LOL ( You must be making almost as much as your buddy George W). Hell that guy that owes you money why don't you show up on his door with a couple squad cars and in full S.W.A.T gear, you'll get your $$ then you can start donating. Call me for my address if you want to donate to the JL For President Fund, I'll be running in 2012 LOL

Yea Jeff crack the lock off of your wallet and join that group because its in your neck of the woods...and you don't have to be a Hillary jock strap to get in:) I don't know if Celeste takes small donations from outsiders like myself who likes to stay on top of this stuff but if she does and there is a small benefit for me in doing so such as helping a cause then I just may donate a few bucks....... I also plan on donating a couple of bucks to the RFW as soon as I get some monies owed to my company. So far I have one company who is stiffing me out of a $4300 dollar pay day. He is over 4 months late and he;s giving me the runaround. Once I get his money this is when I can donate a few bucks....untill then money is a little tight because I'm storing some of it away because of my concerned for the economy and the $4 diesel gas prices that allready hit here.... I am going to have to hustle like I never did before to make this a better year then last... Hustle is the name of the game

John is that your new Swabby, did you put it to use yet? Good luck

I want to meet Chris, maybe we all can get a little meeting together if its possible?

Give me a few weeks notice before you come and we'll try to line something up. Chris doessn't usually read many forums other than the roof cleaning ones, so you might want to let him know your thoughts as well.