Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

My entry for worst deck ever

Question

This is one nasty deck. I strenuously advised to have the deck re-build, especially around the pool, and re-skinned on the elevated portion. I cant even replace some of the rotted boards because of frame rot. Check out the trim around the pool! Its at the water line.

I asked the cust. if he just purchased the house. No, he just hasnt gotten to it. I told him I wouldnt let my kids out there, and especially company. Im gonna clean it next week and he said he'll replace it next year.

post-4622-137772199128_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772199136_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772199143_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772199211_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772199217_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

A Pig with lipstick is still a Pig!!

If he's gonna "re-build" next year, why waste the money? Oh, because he's not gonna re-build.

You should clonk this guy over the head!!!

I have always found that 2 x 6 pressure treated decks weather worse than 5/4" decking. My theory is that being thicker, they hold moisture longer - leading to premature decay.

I have always found that 2 x 6 pressure treated decks weather worse than 5/4" decking. My theory is that being thicker, they hold moisture longer - leading to premature decay.

And they probaby cup more. plus the don't have the rounded edges to take water away

Jon,

This would make a fun competition! This is the worst one we ever restored. In the first pic to the right by the shovel, note the pile of dirt. All that remained of a cedar planter!

Took some wood replacement and some serious sanding to flush butt end deck boards but the job came out pretty well.

I love the decks with the thick layer of mold that has turned black. It's always fun to watch the customer gape at the clean deck afterwards.

Rick, where is Palinsboro? I'm familiar with northern jersey like paramus, fairlawn, ramsey and the likes!!

Daniel,

I don't post pricing on any public boards. The job was two years ago and if my memory is correct, probably twice the clean and stain rate plus additional for sanding and carpentry labor.

James,

I'm in Plainsboro, NJ which is the central part of the state, about three miles south of Princeton.

the deck by the pool is VERY restorable! Repair the damaged boards and wash and stain. The important thing is the wood under all the grime( use of word for the site promo) the biggest thing is to paint the proper picture to the customer of what you can do for this amount vs complete replacement. I would see $$ on a job like that that can be as great a B&A picture as RPETYs

:irritated Kenny built this deck.......

Whats wrong with this picture? :)

These pics were taken at a estimate I had today. Lets just say thank god I only weigh 175 lbs cause I've never seen 2x6's flex so much.

post-1818-137772199274_thumb.jpg

post-1818-13777219928_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Structural framing looks more like a sandbox than an elevated deck. Single beams and lack of joists is a collapse just waiting to happen.

Kenny should find another line of work.

It's definately a mess. The homeowner seriously asked if it was salvagable.

We're putting together a bid to rebuild the whole deck currently. I've been toying with some different deck design software lately :)

post-1818-137772199645_thumb.jpg

:irritated Kenny built this deck.......

Whats wrong with this picture? :)

These pics were taken at a estimate I had today. Lets just say thank god I only weigh 175 lbs cause I've never seen 2x6's flex so much.

Nahh..Kenny just likes to turn decks into trampolines by cleaning regular with straight vinegar...:lgbonk: