Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Cedar Shake Strip

Question

6 answers to this question

Let me rephrase the question, how about getting them back as close to their natural state as possible, so they can be restained.

Remember I don't do any wood and have zero experience with this stuff.

Rick, If you haven't heard from the Witherington's give them a call. She may be stalling because she is unsure of a color to go with, I'm sure you can sell her.

John,

If in fact there is no stain on the shakes, I'd suggest using a sodium percarbonate wood cleaner, pressure wash, and follow up with an acid (citric, oxalic, citralic). This will have the cedar looking like new and a fine prep for an oil based stain.

Diamond Jim may have better suggestions, he does a lot of shake work in Ct.

If you haven't heard from the Witherington's give them a call.

OK will do.

The most difficult cedar shake cleaning or restore is when half of the shake has stain on it and the other half is exposed wood with out stain on it. Do a test spot with bleach and water first. This should show if there is stain on the shake. If there is you have to find what dilution of stripper is right for the job without furring the crap out of the exposed wood. You have a small area of shakes to do so not that difficult to de-fur if you have to.

Had my one year anniversary in Jan.. Many things hurt in the rib cage area when dealing with this industry ( twisting and different weights). I worked out pretty intensively over the winter to get back in shape ( very difficult).It's more of a mental challenge and to find out what you can and cannot do. Thanks for asking.