Sign in to follow this  
Robere

Fliers etc

Question

I sometimes drive around during slow times and look for dirty houses to wash. I get a few houses this way. I always give them a discount price because I'm "hungry". I was wondering how many of you do this when things are slow. And when you do, how do you go about doing it? I don't want to walk on someones property and I hate to knock on doors and bother people. Ive put fliers on peoples door before, but hate doing that. One time I just looked at houses from the street then took down the addresses and mailed them bids explaining I was slow at work. Some people told me they admired the way I went about it and liked the way my letter was written. I got 2 or 3 houses out of 10 doing this and I did'nt have to bother anyone.

Anyone use fliers and if so how do you go about distributing them?

20 answers to this question

I've used fliers before and the close rate is real low,like 1 in a hundred,but the neighborhoods were high end and the word of mouth and referrals were great.

I covered one area with fliers,close to 400 houses in the neighborhood and spent the whole month in there working.

I only do it in areas where the homes are $300,000 and up because of the costs involved.

Robere....I think I would leave out the part explaining how slow you are. I think that it inviting people to negotiate your price. After all, if you're hungry, then you'll do it even if it's lower than you planned on right? (That will be their thinking)

How about doing the flyer up with a "neighborhood special" or something like that. They would get a discount if they recruit their neighbor for you....something like that is how I would go about it.

I do flyers all the time. I put them in newspaper boxes.

I can't/won't knock on someone door, put something in their door.

When passing out flyers and someone is in their yard, i ask permission

to walk up and give it to them.

I relocated about 8 mo. ago and i've got alot of work from them.

Also, my closing rate when they call is high.

They are calling because they want the service.

My price is well above avg. I sell the benefit they are looking for.

Flier closing rate is almost 100% , because if they call you have captured their attention

Works great for us on Roofs

Hey Russ, what do you use for a roof setup?

First season using fliers, and they're working great. I only leave them in the newspaper box. If somebody is working in the yard I'll stop and talk to them, everybody so far has wanted an estimate (I love talking to those people, they're the ones that really care about how things look). Been passing them out for two weeks. Last week alone I gave out $3,998 in estimates. Closed nearly 75% so that so far.

Get a good ad, full color with pictures.

Hot Shot, I didn't mean I put on the flier that I was hungry and desperate for work. I said I was offering a discount in my down time. I understand what you are saying tho and I have thought of giving discounts on neighbors..

So funny that this was posted. When I'm slow I'll drive around like a dirty house stalker. I have houses on my list that are solid green. Here's the best part....I have these awesome post cards that say..GOT MOLD!! and they show some chick grabbing her face like ohhh. The card has a before and after of dirty and clean siding and a 20% discount. I drop these post cards all the time to these homes only to get a zero response.

I think I know why. The people who's houses have been this dirty for so long are just dirty people and don't give a crap about how there house looks. It's really the only explanation because I've sent the same houses the same house wash cards 3 years in a row and they are still filthy, moldy, nasty homes.

I

CLASSICPW....... I know the houses you are speaking of. Some houses just stay that way. The people don't care. I hit the ritzy neighborhoods and find that the ones with just a little mold are the ones that respond. They usually say " Yeah I've been meaning to get to that".

Hot Shot, I didn't mean I put on the flier that I was hungry and desperate for work. I said I was offering a discount in my down time. I understand what you are saying tho and I have thought of giving discounts on neighbors..

oh, my bad, I must have just read it wrong...:)

I do that often

Anyone know if it is 100% legal to put flyers in a newspaper box? Dont want to get a big fine my first year "or ever"..

Anyone know if it is 100% legal to put flyers in a newspaper box? Dont want to get a big fine my first year "or ever"..

A few months ago, I put fliers out on mailboxes when I lost one of my dogs. I happened to talk to a Postal Carrier while doing so. I asked and she said that nothing is supposed to be attached to a mailbox, but she let me do it under the circumstances.

I haven't had much luck canvassing the hood with fliers. I definitely would not target the homes that are filthy, because these people usually don't care. A lot of the homes I wash are in high dollar neighboorhoods. They are usually not that dirty because these people care about the investment and have it done every 1-2 years. Those are the customers you want. I don't think you are going to get work from them with fliers though. A lot of small time contractors and various hacks walk these neighboorhoods because they think since the peopple have money they should spend it on xyz service. Maybe change up your campaign and target these discerning customers with top notch service.

Around my area, nobody has newspaper boxes and I have been taping flyers to mailboxes occasionally. Someone in that neighborhood will call me and complain and tell me to stop. 2 months ago, I got a flyer put inside my mailbox advertising $99 house washes. I have never walked up to a front door and hung a flyer. Is this a fairly common practice with you guys? Do you walk the neighborhoods yourself or do you hire someone to place the flyers on the front doors? Thanks.