Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

For all you stain manu. these are the elements I have to deal with each winter.

Question

Again - talking to the 'Fen' - and he had asked me if my winter was mild. I actually thought it was mild - and then realized what a world of difference Southern New England is to Pennsylvania. So I am including some shots of my home during an average 'Boston' snowstorm. It got me thinking that lots of these stain manufacturers perhaps aren't really formulating with my needs in mind. I would go so far as to say - between our harsh winters - and absolute brutal summers - maybe one year in the northeast is equivalent to 2 years of 'weathering' further south. So here are some folks of a what I consider a 'mild' winter.

post-1720-137772201014_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772201059_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772201103_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

What's your business model, Jim? Do you stain a customers deck every year - or every other year? Aren't most of your decks hardwoods? Personally I am having most luck so far this spring with parrafinic stain on my pressure treated. But I liken that to the 'sponge' nature of the wood. I can see it leaching out every rainstorm still 5-6 months after application - but since the wood took so much stain - it's ok, but I just don't see hardwoods being able to soak up enough stain to last? I've probably emptied close to 5 gallons of stan in two applications on about 400 square feet of decking area. Can ipe soak up that much - and endure the constant rainstorms continually leaching it back out?

I feel your pain brother.

I've had mixed results with IPE. They don't use it much up here though, mostly cedar, then PTP, then redwood. Any IPE I've done requires a yearly recoat.

Mostly Thompson's Water seal. Main't every year to 18 months. Wax On wax off. I find it much easier to maintain.

LOL - I know you don't use that crap - how about a few pics of a readyseal deck 12 months after application? 18 months after application? And 24 months after application? My pressure treated 6 months after application don't look absolutely wonderful - but the wood is still protected and looks like a simple bleach clean and reapplication in a couple months.

I just don't understand how readyseal or any parafinnic stain can last more than 12 months on ipe? And is it just a simple percarb/bleach clean? Or is it a hydroxide strip?

- how about a few pics of a readyseal deck 12 months after application? 18 months after application? And 24 months after application?

Daniel,

3 pictures, the first about 10 months after a RS maintenance, the second at the 22 month mark, both RS maintenance jobs with the medium red stain. Both decks are 20 year old pressure treated wood, with full sun exposure. I know as they both are my neighbors.

I just don't understand how readyseal or any parafinnic stain can last more than 12 months on ipe? And is it just a simple percarb/bleach clean? Or is it a hydroxide strip?

It has been my experience that no stain will "last" more than 12 months on ipe'. 3rd picture is RS medium red on my ipe' handrail, 3 weeks shy of 12 months of an initial staining. As the others, full sun exposure.

Maintenance prep on all three is 1.5% bleach and soap mix with low pressure, followed by a single application of oil.

Rick - I think parafinnic has a shot on pressure treated. I just think deck staining with parafinnic based stains is a yearly thing with hardwood decks. Do your customers absolutely love seeing you every single year? I know many love the idea of repeat business - but I don't want to hand a bill each and every year over and over again. Heck as bad as trex mildews - I am sure most of my customers can get by with every other year cleanings. What is our customers' 'uncle' point? The way I see things, at least for ipe - if we can't get a product to go two years before a full strip/resto, then what's the point - and on softer woods - two years before a 'maintenance' coat - and three years before a full resto/strip job. Those are my requirements - and I need a product to fulfill those requirements - so I can build a deck business. Otherwise I fear pi$$ing off customers - or at least scaring many of them away if I am totally 100% honest upfront about the reality of how much deck maintenance will cost - if I can get a stain to perform.

and on softer woods - two years before a 'maintenance' coat - and three years before a full resto/strip job. Those are my requirements - and I need a product to fulfill those requirements - so I can build a deck business. Otherwise I fear pi$$ing off customers - or at least scaring many of them away if I am totally 100% honest upfront about the reality of how much deck maintenance will cost - if I can get a stain to perform.

Dan,

There are several stains that perform to those requirements on soft woods. RS fits that bill well, although you really don't have to fully strip it for many years. I am still recoating RS decks, every 2 yrs, that I originally restored over 6 yrs ago, and they look great. Being 100% HONEST with your customers about the longevity of a stain is crucial to secure repeat business. Remember, your business is only as good as your word. Most folks who are willing to pay to have their deck restored, realize that maintenance is a fact of life, and will appreciate you being up-front about costs. Most people would rather pay the maintenance cost.

Daniel,

Mike in the post above is dead on. The only reason to ever strip RS off of softwoods is if the color gets too dark for the customer's tastes after numerous maintenance cycles.

~ 85% of our work is either cedar or PT and our customers see us every two years. With hardwoods, depends on the wood, foot traffic, sun exposure etc. Ipe' is yearly, while many mahogany jobs last two years. Just depends on the job.

I put 2 coats of a parafinnic stain on my deck last Fall - and it badly needs another recoat this spring. How do you go 2 years between recoats? Is this after several years? I am thinking perhaps 2 coats each year for the first couple of years - and then it can go the distance - am I wrong?

Daniel,

You should be getting 2 yrs. out of a parafinnic oil stain. 5 gals. for 400 sq. ft. is more than enough oil. Maybe differences in prep or moisture content when the stain was applied?

What kind of stain and what color? Ready Seal, Woodrich, Bakers, TWP?

The attached panoramic photo may be of interest. Same wood, same age, same exposure, and same stain which is RS med. red. The middle and right decks are the 22 month and 10 month old jobs as shown in the close up photos above. The deck to the far left was stained last April or 12 months ago.

Observe that it is darker from a distance than the far right 10 month old RS deck. Why? If you take a closer look, note the large maple tree directly in front and centered. During the late spring, summer, and most of the fall this wood is shaded from the sun.

Direct UV exposure takes a heavy toll on exterior stains.

O DANNY BOY !. I have reclaim units on some of my decks that capture the leached oil and redistribute it back on.

LOL - Jim you are either the biggest clown in the wood preservation industry or the biggest genius, and you're laughing at the rest of us with your antics.

Either way, keep it up. LOL