Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Gettin' Rid of The Fuzzies! Orbital Sander or De-Furring Pads?

Question

I'm thinking about committing more resource into "sanding" some of the fuzzies that inevitably come up with the redwood decks we do out here... I've usually done a bit of sanding with an orbital/80G on contact surfaces, i.e. handrails,benchs,etc... I have heard some of you folks mention the use of de-furring pads instead. From what I hear, this approach can reduce labor by 2/3. I've never used the de-furring pads...What do you guys think about them? Maybe some of you could share your de-furring ups with us, that would be great! Also, curious what kind of cost this set up would be...

Thanks!

50 answers to this question

you can get them from brian at the deck guide you'll need the makita variable speed sander/polisher 9". It's lightweight and you can use either hand with it. there's also osborn buffing brushes that also defur but may leave circular groves on some surfaces. they both work great, and make sure to call up brian and ask about technique and he'll fill you in.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated. Any special techniques in using these osbourn brushes?

no.

the biggest difference between the 2 is weight. the osborn can strain your wrist/arm/elbow/shoulder/back after awhile. the defelting pads are like scotch pads, light as a feather

You will need the special adapter for the defelting pads.

the defelting pads are like scotch pads

That said..get a 15-20" low speed swing machine for wide open flat areas.

Flea market a good source...

Move them length wise for to get most time out of floor pads.

You can defelt 1k' deck floor in about 10 min and it make for a much more even/predictable look to the stain through it's drying phaze at the very least.

To go all the way as heavy duty as ya could on such get a stratgrit type brush for the buffer....aka- kevsters velvet elvis :)

Only issue with utilizing buffer is that many locations will require lifting up stairs or rolling through dirt to get to area to be done.

Can someone give me a model # for this Makita 9" Polisher? Also, maybe explain how this approach is different than sanding with 80G and an orbital? Im assuming (hoping) that its faster for one... Spent 3 hrs sanding spindles w/ orbital/80G yesterday. Lots of soft redwood around here needing lots of stripping,so, here come the fuzzies!

Can someone give me a model # for this Makita 9" Polisher? Also, maybe explain how this approach is different than sanding with 80G and an orbital? Im assuming (hoping) that its faster for one... Spent 3 hrs sanding spindles w/ orbital/80G yesterday. Lots of soft redwood around here needing lots of stripping,so, here come the fuzzies!

Makita 9227c. Try Amazon - got it in two days for about $190. Works great...

Matt,

For redwood, try and use the 3M defelting pads. It is a soft wood, similar to cedar back here in the East. Osbourn or similar brushes are probably too aggressive for redwood.

Faster than random orbitals, but even my gym happy, weight lifting, non-smoking, 'get 'er done, 20 yr. old helper could not come close to defurring 1000 sq. ft. in 10 minutes.

We use the makita also with the osbourne brushed / defelting pad. The other tool we use is a vairable speed grinder from harbor freight similar to the makita. It is their version of the makita.... They are 39.95 each, here is a tip. We purchase the extended warranty from Harbor freight (I think it is 3 years for 10 bucks, when we wear it out, we toss it on the shelf and make a trip to HF twice a year to get replacements.

We bought 3 of them 2 years ago.

Matt, I have one of those about a year now. Use it on the vehicles and wood all time and, knock on wood, it hasn't broken yet. Is trial and error going there though. Last two things that didn't last was a pump and a pneumatic air chisel.

Rick, I guess since it pretty much fact then I'd be showing that 20 year old up pretty good then..haha :) But regardless of usefullness of a swing machine buffer setup on open areas it has been my experience that younger folk are not at all conditioned or experienced enough to do many chores as fast as someone that has done it their whole life.

[quote name=The other tool we use is a vairable speed grinder from harbor freight similar to the makita. It is their version of the makita.... They are 39.95 each, here is a tip. We purchase the extended warranty from Harbor freight (I think it is 3 years for 10 bucks, when we wear it out, we toss it on the shelf and make a trip to HF twice a year to get replacements.

We bought 3 of them 2 years ago.[/quote]

Could you tell me the model # or a link? I just visited Harbor Freight's site, could seem to find it.. Thanks! Do they sell the pads?

Matt,

For redwood, try and use the 3M defelting pads. It is a soft wood, similar to cedar back here in the East. Osbourn or similar brushes are probably too aggressive for redwood.

Faster than random orbitals, but even my gym happy, weight lifting, non-smoking, 'get 'er done, 20 yr. old helper could not come close to defurring 1000 sq. ft. in 10 minutes.

We also use the 3M defelting pads when needed. I use the osborne brushed in decks in real bad shape, nails - splinters and such. The work great. We did use them on the large redwood two-tone project. We finally finished it up last week. The homeowner tipped us $500

The first three photos are "project in progress" pics. I have to swing by and take "after" pics.

post-723-137772207213_thumb.jpg

post-723-137772207219_thumb.jpg

post-723-137772207224_thumb.jpg

post-723-137772207229_thumb.jpg

Edited by NYPWC.NET

The homeowner tipped us $500

The first three photos are "project in progress" pics. I have to swing by and take "after" pics.

Looks great Matt! WOW, 500 tip, gotta feel good! Still looking for those 3M pads online, cant seem to get any bites from google... any tips?

Matt,

For redwood, try and use the 3M defelting pads.

Hey Rick, im looking all over the place online trying find these confounded 3m defelting pads, any ideas where I can buy some?

Here ya go..They usually have pallets of them and they go on sale constantly:

f2857331.jpg

Rick, sweet deck!!

3rd pic..floor not done yet right?.. looks like superduck..seein alot of estimates that have duck failure right now.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Thanks... and these attach to the Makita 9227c 9" I'm guessing?

Matt,

Yes, the 3M pads are for the Makita 9227C. Call Tom Vogel at ACR Products (see banner ad on TGS home page). I know he has a ton of 'em, was up at his shop this week.

Attached is a pic of the Makita buffing out red mahogany.

Matt,

I've got 3-4 boxes of them that I'll sell you at a discount. I no longer use them, and exclusively use Osborne brushes. PM me, or call the number below if you're interested, and I'll go dig them up in the shop. They are also available through deckguide.com. Price is negotiable....

I bought two of these floor sanders at a Ritchie Bros. Auction. They work great at taking the cupping out and leaving a smooth, like new surface.

post-1675-137772207261_thumb.jpg