Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

Quickbooks?

I think it would be nice to have someone show me how to use stuff like this. It would speed up the startup process for using it than having to discover everything myself over time. Got to go,

Dane

I have a problem with quickbooks right now actually. When I first for the program I created a "test" bank account. Well, I "thought" i deleted it again (it doesnt show up on the right anymore, as well as anywhere else) but if I do a report, it shows up in there.

Also I think im doing it wrong if I take money out the ATM and/or deposit cash in the account.

I just get confused. Im thinkking about sitting down, creating a whole new company profile, and re-type all the customers / receipts and everything. I wish I would of known how to use this darn program from the get-go :P

Ron, come to South Carolina and set-it up for me :D haha

Pat & Dane.....get together and pick a date that you guys can be at the same place at the same time (in between where you are :)) and we'll do a mini class to get you up to speed.

Or, we can try a conference call so everyone can be looking at their computers.

Celeste

I have a problem with quickbooks right now actually. When I first for the program I created a "test" bank account. Well, I "thought" i deleted it again (it doesnt show up on the right anymore, as well as anywhere else) but if I do a report, it shows up in there.

Also I think im doing it wrong if I take money out the ATM and/or deposit cash in the account.

I just get confused. Im thinkking about sitting down, creating a whole new company profile, and re-type all the customers / receipts and everything. I wish I would of known how to use this darn program from the get-go :P

Ron, come to South Carolina and set-it up for me :D haha

I can download a compnay profile we have built, Its easy to install. Everyone must customize there own. I have specialized reports that you may not care about.

Hey Ron that was a nice summary..basically the peachtree is about the same what with all the auto memorized invoicing and form/report designing stuff.

Dane, Profile like Ron mentions probably contains the credit/debit accounts (chart of accounts) specific to service field or the pressure washing and perhaps even some inventory items. I would take him up on it if so......would want a copy myself in case I do decide to switch over..Fork it over Ron!

In demoing a few progs over the years they all pretty much offer sample profiles one could start off with. Some profile more geared for professionals that bill on time and some more for service trades that may bill on time or fixed rate and sq. ft. inventory.

Probably any of the programs available have a basic help file that will explain the basic accounting methods of cedits and debits. Every transaction you do in such programs are classified as one or the other but it first depends on whether the credit or debit applies to an income or an expense account. In other words a credit to an expense account is a credit/addition to that account but of course ends up a subtraction from say a bank account or a budget account. So in essence a chart of accounts/profile will have such inner workings already created. Even the most basic will let you create new accounts manually from scratch to cover the type or source of yer income or expenses. I have income accounts that cover such things as contracted janitorial work, floors work, pressure washing, wood work, even ones for a delivery job I used to run. The beauty of making many is that then your reports and graphs can show you how much one area is doing compared to another.

I assume the main training needed for many relates to accounting principles and/or forms designing..

I can download a compnay profile we have built, Its easy to install. Everyone must customize there own. I have specialized reports that you may not care about.

I would def. appreciate it Ron!

If you could just send me an E-Mail to mailto:Pat@PressureX.net with possibly some simple instructions on how to install it, I would def. more than appreciate it!

Quuick books has QB Advisors in most areas. These are people who are experienced in QB and may be willing to help. Rates may vary. Remember, just because the Advisor may be smart, they may not be able to teach. Interview just like you would for a cleaner.

I was talking about YouTube instructions and forum lessons being free (as in you get what you pay for). If I give a class, it will involve classroom time and hands on computer learning....I was simply making an additional benefit to PWNC contractors but if Ron has them covered - hey, more free time for me.

I was talking about YouTube instructions and forum lessons being free (as in you get what you pay for). If I give a class, it will involve classroom time and hands on computer learning....I was simply making an additional benefit to PWNC contractors but if Ron has them covered - hey, more free time for me.

I was just demostrating that a monkey could write and invoice on QB. Its a very simple program and when you take the time to learn all the features things get even easier.

We use it now to merge our contracts with the potential customer. We can now smoothly reach everyone with e-mail or mail very easy. A few clicks of a button.

Its made our mailing campaigns easy.

I love this program and would not use anything else.

A monkey can pull the trigger on a power washer - but it doesn't mean that the monkey can do everything with the power washer that can be done.

The offer still stands to NC/SC contractors - I am QuickBooks Certified and I am happy to (a) arrange a seminar and (b) provide telephone support. This is offered free to PWNC members as a benefit for participating.

Celeste

I always find it helpful to learn more about a program I am using. You might be surprised how many things you can learn to do that benefit your business if you take the time to study it.

Beth

A monkey can pull the trigger on a power washer - but it doesn't mean that the monkey can do everything with the power washer that can be done.

The offer still stands to NC/SC contractors - I am QuickBooks Certified and I am happy to (a) arrange a seminar and (b) provide telephone support. This is offered free to PWNC members as a benefit for participating.

Celeste

You da man!!...or uh woman oops. Anyway i'm no monky by any means, although some would say other wise, but I also am no geek. First I gota get the program. right now all my stuff is on client forms and list sheets. Got to go digi'.

Dane

Maybe on monday if the gals are sending one out and they dont mind me taping i can.

Can't wait Ron..knowing yer past offerings it should be a good one.

Mine goes as such:

I open my last quote and goto a tab that applies either customer or internal note before or after line items. I grab a terms paragraph from it into my clipboard and then note the quote number. These quotes are in almost the same format as an invoice but the cell inclusion and order is customized.

Now I start a quote,drop those two above infos in, and save.

Then off the quotes customer box/drop down list I create a new customer by copy/pasting from email or estimate form. Normally that would be off a main tab listed as customer or vendor maintenance and is just easier to do off a quote or an invoice.

So now the quote is almost finished but for doing my line items. Again a drop down lets me at my inventory which is a huge variety of items. Some are fixed rate some are sq. ft. Depending on how I expect bid meeting to go I print out a couple version to offer customer. Like one will be for clean and stain of decking and railing or one may be for stripping of deck and porch/pergola, etc. But for a word or two and the actual price there may not be much difference in the items. If the location has not been measured the price is already listed and but quantities are left blank and I total stuff up on the spot. My feeling is customers appreciate knowing I am working the bidding process off an already set price. This way the customer can sign on the spot or least they know what the amounts are. Later on within a day or so I email or fax them over version with the quantities and totals filled in by computer.

Since inventory is ready for the taking and the terms paragraph includes tentative start/completion dates, stain color choices, and signature/acceptance lines it usually takes less than a couple minute start to finish to make a new customer quote that turns into a contract. About as long as it takes to read this... :) This past Friday I received call for bid as I was about to head out the door to a bid meeting in same area of town. I walked my old lady through the above quote process as I was busy with hygene and getting dressed (don't ask). Loading test chem/stain samples can take time...lol

I get about 5 line items on quote without the quote itself extending into two pages. Other pages such as terms sheet, reference sheet, ins. are provided as sutiable.

You da man!!...or uh woman oops. Anyway i'm no monky by any means, although some would say other wise, but I also am no geek. First I gota get the program. right now all my stuff is on client forms and list sheets. Got to go digi'.

Dane

Dane, the program will increase revenue the first month you have it. Keeping in contact will be much easier. running specials and thankyou's after job complete will be a breeze.