Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Why I LOVE deckwork! Reminded Again...

Question

Today was, well, one of those days. I called a call from one of my old customers to tackle a HUGE moss covered brick patio area. Nice client and I always try to oblige a request for a clean up. I shifted my focus last year to deck restoration, largely in part due to everything I've learned from all of the talented 'woodies' on from this forum. My advertising is now specific to deck jobs. I've never been happier than I am these days. Transforming old neglected or improperly maintained decks always seems to put a smile on my customers faces. These clients are always so grateful when I get done and they pay me well for what I do.

Anyways, I was reminded again today why I chose to focus on woodwork and not other flatwork, concrete,brick,exteriors,etc... I was covered head to toe in wet mossy dirt, legs were pelted by bits of mortar all day, and spent the majority of the afternoon paranoid that my surface cleaner would kick out that one single pebble that would break one of the big windows that flanked me all around the house! The job payed OK, but frankly, I could have made that same $ for just the "brightening" treatment on one of my deck jobs!

I can't wait until the next call that comes in to "have a look at my 2K sq. ft deck that hasnt been stained in years"! I love working with wood, and, for now, have no problems leaving the commercial jobs and brickwork cleaning for the flatwork guys!

As Rod would say, just my .02!

7 answers to this question

Transforming old neglected or improperly maintained decks always seems to put a smile on my customers faces. These clients are always so grateful when I get done and they pay me well for what I do.

Matt,

Here, Here! Transforming an old, neglected, house washer concrete guy into a true woodie is a thing of beauty! Restoring wood is hard work but the satisfaction cannot be matched by any other pressure washing specialty.

Matt,, Are you forgetting all the sore muscle a day after shooting raised decking or pergola job?.

Shot a monster yesterday for 4 hour straight and then after taking a short lunch I could barely move to leave..lol ..was nice admiring the work though.. :)

Y'Know Kev, I'll take the sore shoulders over grit in the corners of my eyes any day! Yup, wood is a different beast all together, still hard work, but much more creatively gratifying. Back when I was, as Rick so aptly put it, a tired out ol' concrete guy, I would really tune everyting out when I was cleaning flatwork. I reckon I'd spenmd most of my mental energy just "zoned out" thinkin about anything OTHER than the moss rippin off a driveway. Now, with deckwork, totally different ball game! My head is always so in the game at hand, mentally flippin' through all of the woodie wisdom you folks have imparted to me. I've been working for myself since I was 13 yrs. old and have 2 college degrees (Biology/Sociology), but Id have to say when it comes to absorbing real life, durable knowledge, this forum has been, BY FAR the most profitable for me! I really wanna thank all you guys (and gals!) for your generosity and enthusiam for the process of learning THE RIGHT WAY to handle a deck! Cheers Y'All!

the before and afters on my cheapo website as well as referrals runs my whole business. The reaction from the customer is still a motivating factor for me after all these years. Especially the ones who tried to power wash it themselves or had a friend try it . Anyone can clean and stain a deck but there is a difference in a professional job and I take great pride in my deck business. I have a degree in Economics that helped me learn to run my own business and I enjoy the chase for new work. the $$ aint bad either!!!