Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Longevity vs ease of use

Which is more important in a deck sealer, longevity or ease of use?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important in a deck sealer, longevity or ease of use?

• Longevity
    • Ease of use
    • other....in thread

Question

14 answers to this question

I think it's to vague of a question with many way's to interpret the function. Ease of future maint. is at the top along with maintaining the integrity of the wood. Understanding wood and how it degrades is the first step on how to approach understanding sealers.

Voted "other" although "ease of use" is high on the list due to increased productivity. Longevity is generally not an issue as at least here in the Northeast, premium stains, ie: WoodTux, Ready Seal, Bakers, etc., all seem to last about 2 yrs. on softwoods.

Ease of maintenance is primary. The ability to restain time and time again without stripping is very beneficial to customers and is a real selling point.

Consistent, high quality manufacturing standards. The stain is always well made, with the same ingredients, formulation, and performance qualities, year after year. Never a problem with the product.

Availability. Never a delay in getting the stain. We try not to carry more than 50 or so gallons in stock at any one time so it is important. ~ 85% of our jobs are one of two colors, but we often need non-stocked colors quickly.

Shipping. Hand in glove with availability, the product must ship quickly without delay. Thanks to ACR Products, our stain arrives on the doorstep within 24 -30 hours after the order. And free freight with quantities of 30 gallons or more. Can't beat that service.

Both are important IMO but as Rick said on average 2 years is about it. We see alot of customers on the 3rd year for maintenance so I tend to weight the side of ease of maintenance/application since longevity seems to be about equal.

Isn't longevity about moot at this point?....With the VOC's changing and all..it's down to about two years thats it on just about everything isn't it? Can't call or concider that longevity can you? I'd say ease of use as long as its consistant.

for my pricing plan the product that gives 2-3 yrs of looking good and beading water that is stripable in a water cleanup formula. I would lean towards ease of use as that keeps my per sq. ft price reasonably affordable. The majority of my price is labor & equipment costs. Some of the products that claim longevity can be a bi%c& to strip and that costs money in the long run. Selling deck maintenance is my goal. I like the "3 peat customer".. every 3 years I can count on their call. I already know the sq.ft. age and my log of time on the job and gal. of use so its just a matter of scheduling the work. Slight increases in price to reflect inflation and cost increases are not balked at and its an easy sell!

Isn't longevity about moot at this point?....With the VOC's changing and all..it's down to about two years thats it on just about everything isn't it? Can't call or concider that longevity can you? I'd say ease of use as long as its consistant.

Sure seems that way doesn't it?

Beth