Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Max dissolving for HD-80?

Question

Does anyone know what is the absolute max amount of Hd-80 that can be dissolved into water? I have some being delivered today, and I want to downstream it - and just trying to figure out if I will need it along with glycol - depending on the max amount that will dissolve per gallon. Thanks!

11 answers to this question

Don't know Dan.can't help ya there but I can say that ya can get 48oz of hydroxide in a gal. of water no problem.... :)

BTW- metso falls out though in my DS mix regardless if I top the fiver off with a couple more gal of water even. That stuff must require a major thickening to stay suspended. Anyone know what to do to keep it from diving before ya spray it?

PS- also..the amount of boost with glycols could stand to go up a bit if anything. The amount needed is often said to be 10% of the hydroxides contribution (I assume that as a 8oz. per gal mix..maybe they mean 6oz though) to the mix which puts it higher than the traditionally quoted .5 gal per fiver DS batch by 12.8oz. Ya need 12.8 oz X the factor of yer streamer which is 6x if 5:1 streamer = 76.8oz..

Russell said the max you can mix is 8oz/gallon. I tried mixing more and I think he is right. I did however come up with a downstreaming recipe for HD-80 today that worked in removing failing aussie oil on a mahogany deck.

I did 8 oz/gallon - in my 5'er was 2 gallons of propylene glycol antifreeze and another 2 gallons of water. My downstreamer is 7:1 - so one gallon of 'solution' becomes 8 gallons of downstreamed chemical. So I added 32 fluid ozs. of nonylphenol surfactant to this 4 gallon mix - and it stripped every bit as well as my other batch of efc-38 @ 8 ozs/gallon applied by pump up. But with the convenience of downstreaming. Only used like 2 gallons of solution for this whole deck. I think the butyl would work much better.

I did 8 oz/gallon - in my 5'er was 2 gallons of propylene glycol antifreeze and another 2 gallons of water. My downstreamer is 7:1 - so one gallon of 'solution' becomes 8 gallons of downstreamed chemical. So I added 32 fluid ozs. of nonylphenol surfactant to this 4 gallon mix - and it stripped every bit as well as my other batch of efc-38 @ 8 ozs/gallon applied by pump up. But with the convenience of downstreaming. Only used like 2 gallons of solution for this whole deck. I think the butyl would work much better.

Sounds like ya getting heaps of help from the nonylphenol without hearing exactly how much hd80 ya used. In DSing it I assume by your "/gallon" that you worked it out to 8oz. X factor of 8 for 64oz? But if that was all ya put in without allowing for double the water then yer way diluted.

Mostly the standard figures would be 6.25% TTW of NaOH (8oz) but since I hear hd80 has other ingredients the 10oz suits folks better. That is 7.81%TTW of that product as a whole or 80oz (or 2.5lb) in yer case.

My last batch started at 48oz NaOH to 1 gal water (slowly), 76.8oz pg, 64oz butyl, and a squirt of this or that. I then halfed (diluted) the mix and ended at approx. 3% boosted NaOH TTW. Wasn't overly strong for what I was doing with it. :)

Andrew, Ya have to know what ratio or percentage your streamer sucks as in downstreaming that 10oz. it will be rather diluted...

5:1 = 20%= dilution factor of 6x

7:1 = 14.28% = dilution factor of 8x

Kevin that 8 oz/gallon rate was then diluted by my 7:1 downstreamer. So actual surfaces only saw a 1oz/gallon of HD-80 concentration, along with an ounce of surfactant, along with 8ozs of propylene glycol. That downstreamed solution stripped this deck.

These cut figures maybe closer Dan...it sure can be confusing if complicated..lol

2gal PG (256oz.)-

assuming approx 576 tot. wet+dry product devided by 256oz=2.25

128/2.25=56.88/8 = 7.1oz TTW

(approx. since dries don't take up as much space...be 8oz if not figuring them)

nonylphenol (32oz)-

576/32=18

128/18=7.11/8 = .88oz TTW

hd80(32oz?)-

same applies if ya did 8ozX4gal=32oz = .88oz TTW

..but I very likely could be wrong, as I often am in these ratio/cut matters.

Likely am on my prior post as I don't think I calculated in the total product amounts.

Easier way to figure? Please someone jump in!

Is there an online calculator for this?

PS-

pg percentage would have been approx. 128/7.1=18.02=100/18.02 =5.54%

np- .687%

hd- .687%