Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Whip Hoses w/ Woodwork? Hand Fatigue

Question

Ive never used a whip line in my set up for decks. Do any of you guys QC one of these in with a swivel to increase range of motion with trigger and reduce wrist tension? I've been battling bad tennis elbow and carpal tunnel, looking for any help I can get.

18 answers to this question

Matt,

We have whips on our guns, maybe 20" long. Not sure if it will help with the tennis elbow, I still need cortisone shots once or twice during the season.

Just watch it when working around railings. The QC tends to bang up the wood.

Yes, Whip hoses and mosmatic swivels help greatly to reduce fatigue. Also, we use an easy pull spray gun to help reduce fatigue in that area as well.

Another bit of advice is to switch hands and improve your other hand dexterity to take the load off your right arm (if you are indeed right handed as I suspect).

We have configured our guns to use 3' QC extension pipes and/or a flex wand. This is lighter than the standard gun/lance combinations that come with a pressure washer and is easier on the elbow.

Just mentioning these in case you haven't already implemented them in your set up.

Hope it helps, I am dealing with it as we speak.

Rod!~

Rick, I have a great cure for tennis elbow. Get yourself a couple of young buckaroos you can supervise.

Hah!, ain't that the truth. My main man Chris, or "Cricket" as I call him, is off in Bath, Great Britain, attending a wedding this week. Another college kid will get out of school next week so this old man will be able to rest up a bit.

We have configured our guns to use 3' QC extension pipes and/or a flex wand. This is lighter than the standard gun/lance combinations that come with a pressure washer and is easier on the elbow.

Thanks Rod. Do you have a picture of this set up? I use the 22MM ext. lances when needding to stretch my reach up high. usually comnnect a couple of 36" lances via the 22MM Couplings. Hmm, Im guessing this is not what your talking about?

The biggest improvement that I made was going to a flow-type unloader (eg: K-7). The hose moves fine when the is no pressure in the line. In fact, you can actually change guns or add a hose without turning off the machine! (Gotta be quick!) I also like having a gradual build-up of pressure when cleaning wood. Its much harder to leave your mark!

also don't use the gun triggers or better yet use Guns with none and connect a ball valve to it so you just turn on the water when you need it and turn off the ball valbe when your done. The constant squeezing of the gun will and can cause Tennis Elbow.

TO take this one step further don't us a gun on a surface machine. Once again just use a ball valve and turn it off an on with out ever squeezing a gun

I will see if I can get Beth (our companies shutter bug) to turn her lens on it and post it for you.

Rod!~

Thanks Rod and Beth, I appreciate that. Love to duplicate your world reknown whip line set up!

also don't use the gun triggers or better yet use Guns with none and connect a ball valve to it so you just turn on the water when you need it and turn off the ball valbe when your done. The constant squeezing of the gun will and can cause Tennis Elbow.

Interesting Idea. My only concern with have to do with control. Then again, helluva an idea, think ill rig that set up next week, give it a shot!

VERY SIMPLE REMEDY

Get yourself a long piece of velcrow. Lowes and HD make a type that is long and thin, with the ability to tear them off in sections every 8" or so. If you wrap it in a circle around the trigger and handle when it's pulled.... then just slide it up to the crotch of the handle to release the trigger. Make the loop loose enough that you can slide it up and down easily. Pulling triggers is for beginners...

VERY SIMPLE REMEDY

Get yourself a long piece of velcrow. Lowes and HD make a type that is long and thin, with the ability to tear them off in sections every 8" or so. If you wrap it in a circle around the trigger and handle when it's pulled.... then just slide it up to the crotch of the handle to release the trigger. Make the loop loose enough that you can slide it up and down easily. Pulling triggers is for beginners...

Another brilliant idea! Love this one. Makes sense, got some velcro in the shop. Great

Matt,

An old time trick is to use a tennis ball to hold the trigger on the gun. It is kind of a safety feature in that if the gun is dropped, the tennis ball pops out and the water pressure stops.

May prevent a nasty gash to a leg, HP eye squirt, damage to siding.

Above is good idea. I used to do that but only problem is that if you barely touch the tennis ball it pops out. REMEDY- tie a string through the ball and attach it to the handle. The other thing I got tired of using this technique is that you can't grip the gun very well. It's better than not doing anything at all though.

Hey, I'm the new late comer, Never did get to see those pictures of your whip set u Excuse me for my ignorance but I have an idea why its necessary, but not idea at all all what should be connected to what or what it suppose to look like when I'm done. Any help from anybody at this point would be appreciated. I do house, flatwork and woodwork. I also like that auto flow unloader idea, dont know how to implemtn that. I guess you can say I'm just a toddler in the field, but i"m trying to run.