Sign in to follow this  
RChris57

Wand Marks~The undoing of us already?

Question

Ok, so it looks like wand marks. House is painted wood. Used standard house wash, and X jet. I'll link to the pictures again as a refresher.

I have seen posted that "Sodium Hydroxide/Butyl mix down-streamed will allow for a low pressure rinse away of remaining oxidation."

Don't use down streaming, will the sodium hydroxide/butyl mix work via xjet, if it is indeed wand marks/oxidation.

Any other advice on a remedy for this? I don't go out to the sites, just help husband on occasion on things like this (research his ****ups).

Looking at having to repaint this guys house if we can't remedy it otherwise.

Thanks for your patience, and any advice you can offer.

Kodakgallery.com*Join now and receive beautiful photographic prints from your camera

Ronda

20 answers to this question

It was probably already mentioned but is it aluminum or vinyl? If it's vinyl it will be much more forgiving . If it's aluminum it will be a bit more touchy to make look acceptable, especially if you're not comfortable with application. Your best bet may be to use a light solution of the mix you mentioned and brush out the color to even it up. Trying to chemically tie it together could just cause more trouble for you. If it is vinyl you can try the chemical stronger and try and even it out. Not trying to be mean but, those wand marks look as though they are up and down, try using a side to side motion with a 45 degree fan tip to blend it together with light pressure, maybe that will tie it together. It looks as though you were relying on pressure to clean instead of a product. I hope you can get it evened out.

Jeff

thanks for the reply, the house is painted wood.

it was probably already mentioned but is it aluminum or vinyl? If it's vinyl it will be much more forgiving . If it's aluminum it will be a bit more touchy to make look acceptable, especially if you're not comfortable with application. Your best bet may be to use a light solution of the mix you mentioned and brush out the color to even it up. Trying to chemically tie it together could just cause more trouble for you. If it is vinyl you can try the chemical stronger and try and even it out. Not trying to be mean but, those wand marks look as though they are up and down, try using a side to side motion with a 45 degree fan tip to blend it together with light pressure, maybe that will tie it together. It looks as though you were relying on pressure to clean instead of a product. I hope you can get it evened out.

Jeff

Boy I really missed where you said it was painted wood,..I feel like a knucklehead after seeing it..Ok, then you may want to try the same method as I mentioned to use if it were aluminum. I brush wash houses all the time, it is actually very easy and also a very controlled way of washing. I think you'll be ok, just work with a light solution to start with and try and brush it out. It can probably be done with a fan tip and proper technique if you're comfortable with it, but like I said brushing should bring it together.

Jeff

Nice points Jeff.....

Fanning it to match is the only complication to this issue. It's just plain hard to do without causing further issues on wood.

Let me add that I have run into this on several occassions ( but not due to fault of my own). Trying to save homeowner expense of repaint there is a POSSIBLE solution.

Remedy......

With close range tip of xjet ( some call it low flow) spray liquid carnuba wax over the structure. 10 oz. to 5 gal jug.

It acts as a mask over the oxidation. Gives the finish a sheen appearance such the product "Restora" for vinyl shutters.

It is only a temporary quick fix as weather and time will cause it to wear off eventually. No need to rinse it, but makes sure there will be no rain in the forecast for a day or so.

again, only a temporary fix, NOT permanant solution. It will save a little time and alot of money ( should you consider repaint as a fix).

The canuba wax only cost' about $15.00 a gallon and a gallon would be enough to cover about 3, 2500 s.f. 2 stories.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Adrian,

I will keep that as one of the options.

Ronda

Nice points Jeff.....

Fanning it to match is the only complication to this issue. It's just plain hard to do without causing further issues on wood.

Let me add that I have run into this on several occassions ( but not due to fault of my own). Trying to save homeowner expense of repaint there is a POSSIBLE solution.

Remedy......

With close range tip of xjet ( some call it low flow) spray liquid carnuba wax over the structure. 10 oz. to 5 gal jug.

It acts as a mask over the oxidation. Gives the finish a sheen appearance such the product "Restora" for vinyl shutters.

It is only a temporary quick fix as weather and time will cause it to wear off eventually. No need to rinse it, but makes sure there will be no rain in the forecast for a day or so.

again, only a temporary fix, NOT permanant solution. It will save a little time and alot of money ( should you consider repaint as a fix).

The canuba wax only cost' about $15.00 a gallon and a gallon would be enough to cover about 3, 2500 s.f. 2 stories.

Hope this helps.

I don't think you're going to get it even if you try to pressure wash it... almost impossible unless your technique is picture perfect... and judging by the picture... So, I would try the brushing technique in a small section and go that route. Rinse LIGHTLY and from a distance.

It is wand marks from what I see.You have washed the oxidized paint off where the wand got to close.I would try to blend it with a low pressure tip 700 or less and I would also show the homeowner how his paint has failed and it is time to repaint.I do a lot of paint prep for 2 big painting contractors and if the paint has failed completely ther isn't anything to do but wash it off or leave it alone.Are you sure its paint and not a tinted stain?

Thats great stuff, i use it all the time to remove graffiti at my nite clubs.

I have a feeling I am about to revisit the reason I stopped visiting this place,

but, I am sure we are talking two different products Ron.

...... here come's the buckshot, I'm tuckering up.

I have a feeling I am about to revisit the reason I stopped visiting this place,

but, I am sure we are talking two different products Ron.

...... here come's the buckshot, I'm tuckering up.

I used it in the stalls, its worked great. Even better if you could apply a coat first.

Made it impossible to even leave graffiti. Most of the time it washed right off.

Am i missing something? carnauba wax graffiti - Google Search

Its used alot for that... I'm sorry if i know so many uses. You guys are just much.

I was going to show you a trick with baking soda too, They can just call me. ITS LARGE....

I don't think you're going to get it even if you try to pressure wash it... almost impossible unless your technique is picture perfect... and judging by the picture... So, I would try the brushing technique in a small section and go that route. Rinse LIGHTLY and from a distance.

I would say thats the mostlikely solutions, its safest way to find out the results.

I used it in the stalls, its worked great. Even better if you could apply a coat first.

Made it impossible to even leave graffiti. Most of the time it washed right off.

Am i missing something? carnauba wax graffiti - Google Search

Its used alot for that... I'm sorry if i know so many uses. You guys are just much.

I was going to show you a trick with baking soda too, They can just call me. ITS LARGE....

[yt]fMwwBmobc[/yt]

Ron, I truely am sorry for misunderstanding. Truely sorry. It just goes to show that there is always something to learn.

I honestly never knew it could be used on graffitti.

I thought I was getting blasted for the advice I gave.

There has been so much of it, that it seems the boards have changed since I have been back visiting them. More like slugfest' lately. And I just didn't want it to be me. Seems like alot of folks are just picking fights when I thought I was just trying to help. No disrespect I swear, maybe just alot of folks are edgy, but more likely ...me.

...... anyways, ... yeah what Ron said, yeah,What Craig said, what everyone said.

I have actually seen this posted alot in different threads with alot of responses, so try all the suggestions. One of them is bound to work.

Again, apologies.

No problem, never none taken.

I was being very serious, you might have the solution.

Funny thing is i did a aluminum commercial front way back, I had a similair affect, I use ZIP wax, the liquid stuff. Its worked.

That jet Dry is also another stupid trick, When in trouble, try it all.

Have a great nite,

Man, again, I am so sorry.

It actually does help mask oxidation though.

Now I just feel like butt for even posting that.

Maybe it's time for break.

again, so sorry man.

Man, again, I am so sorry.

It actually does help mask oxidation though.

Now I just feel like butt for even posting that.

Maybe it's time for break.

again, so sorry man.

Its ok, you are just trying to help, alot guys are carry crap on there shoulders. I'm not one of those guys.

I just keep moving forward and stay focused and be positive. Stick around and help.

To me it looks like the used the xjet without the fan tip on it to rinse instead of changing to a fan tip or the low pressure attachment on the xjet. That things pumps out quite some oomf and should only be used for distance.