Sign in to follow this  
ProjectEarth

Closing Customers Quickly

Question

I'm new to the Power Washing industry. I added it this year to my landscape / light construction business. My goal for this season to try primarily residential house cleaning, with upsells of driveways, walks, decks etc.. I've done a few estimates already for houses, and my pricing is fair and competetive. Im not low balling to get business by any means and I have booked some jobs already. I was wondering if you seasoned professionals could offer some input on closing the customer's quicker. I know it's tough to get customers to commit on the spot, especially when they tell you they are waiting for, "another guy to come give an estimate". Buyers are liars, and we all know this. Anyone out there have a tried method of closing the sale? I've always killed them with kindness, concern and knowledge and I have always made money doing it. I don't like pressure selling or wheeling and dealing like that bargain basement jerk at the used car lot. Makes me and my company look cheesy.

Any Input???

-JC

9 answers to this question

i always have a low pressure attitude. 1st impressions are everything. you can make or break the sale in the 1st 5 minutes. customers know you are going to try to hook them, even if your not. your main objective when getting there is to bring down that barrior. be friendly, ask questions about them, not just the job your bidding on. use their name as much as possible. take control, but make it seem as if it's no big deal: what ever you want to do, it's no big deal etc... when your talking, nod your head yes. guess what, so will they. and most importantly: SMILE! if your not smiling, neither will they. good luck!

I'm persistant, some may feel thats pushy but I make sales everyday. I can be aggressive when its called for. I normally just educate and give them the price. My phone rings and most want the service which makes things nice. when customers call you its alittle easier.

I just got my first large customer from the WEB. I have gotten serveral small ones over the years and never have nailed a larger customer.

believe it or not i'm lower key then most might think. then again your low key and mine may differ...LOL

JC, your welcome to call me anytime.

Appreciate all your input.. Seems as though you folks that respond are doing what I have always done.. Treat the customer with Respect, treat them like humans, listen to what they say and educate/address their concerns. And if you dont get the job on the spot, follow up with friendly phone calls. Its funnie when people tell me all the time that the ONE thing i did different then "the other guy" was to call back and ask for the sale again... It AMAZES me the people that DO NOT do this. I dont see a friendly follow up call as a pain in the ass or annoying if done properly..

My older sister (who is a very successful executive) taught me two things years and years ago:

1) Never be afraid of success.

2) What is a priority to YOU is not necessarily a priority to someone else.

-JC

charlie:

Not sure I understand what you're saying...How can having a lot of irons in the fire make you come across sincere and not pushy. I would think that simply being sincere and not pushy would accomplish that.

If you have enough follow up calls to do it puts me at least in the frame of mind that I don't need that job. In nother words I am not pressured to get that job from that person, because I have alot of irons in the fire. Being sincere is a frame of mind.

Charlie

W N A ......want, need and affordibility.......obviously the customer wants the job..he wouldnt have called you......you point out the need....and add value to the project so the customer can see the affordibility. Add value by going into detail of what is involved.....making it sound like a much harder job than it really is.

Andy

ive found that selling yourself then your company ,then the job will always puy you one step ahead then a guy with a price on the back of his biz card,i always ask how long they lived there or compliment them on there garden or grass find something in common with customer talk about something other then powerwashing for just 3min and the job will sell itself all day,ive been doing this since the early 90s, im 30 started when i was 18 before people even recoginized powerwashing as an option on there list of things to do no offense to the landscaper on adding this as an option but i usally make remark to customer such as you wouldnt hire me come put down mulch or plant a tree so why hire a landscape biz do a pressure wash service?ive closed deals where the price was high like in the 10 to 12 thousand dollar range just for cleaning and sealing 12 decks and powerwashing front of town home and theres plenty of jobs like that just sell yourself then the company ,then the job.Hope everyone has a profitable season right up till december .thanks for your time joe