Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Problem with unloader?

Question

I have just put a ZK1 (purchased from Envirospec North "called K10 on their website") flow type unloader on my washer. The problem I am having with it is that every now and then, when the spray gun is closed, I feel the line charge, and then release. I probably noticed it 5-8 times while doing a 2 hr house washing job. My washer is a 5.6gpm/3500psi machine, with a Honda moter and a General Pump. I have a 3/8 hose on my bypass, going back to the supply tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, I love the flow type unloader. It is much easier to handle, and my 40+ year old shoulders love it to.

Thanks in Advance for your replies!

9 answers to this question

You may have a leak somewhere. Maybe a bad o-ring.

Yeah, a leaking gun - or any fitting - will cause the cycling. Also, if you are sucking-in any air on the supply side, it will cause the same problem.

Call them back and have them send you a different sized bypass fitting. Your unloader is "cycling" and it is because the orifice of the bypass port is to large.

To check this (advice given me by many others) take a pair of pliers and squeeze the line a little bit just after the unloader and it should stop cycling while you are doing this and resume once you let go.

Rod!~

Thanks for the replies, I will check my orings. I know my gun nozzle fitting has been giving me a little trouble changing nozzles. If the orings don't work I will pinch the bypass hose, but like I said earlier it doesn't do it all the time, just once in a while.

Call them back and have them send you a different sized bypass fitting. Your unloader is "cycling" and it is because the orifice of the bypass port is to large.

To check this (advice given me by many others) take a pair of pliers and squeeze the line a little bit just after the unloader and it should stop cycling while you are doing this and resume once you let go.

Rod!~

The K10 (ZK1) unloader only has one size bypass port it is rated for 2.4 -10.8 GPM (they only make one). You are probably confusing it with the K7 or K5 which is sized closer to the flow of the machine.

For the cycling on the K10 I would check 2 things...Leaks like everyone mentioned, or if the bypass line is too big that can cause it to cycle also. Reccommended size is 1/4" on the bypass line.

I have replaced the orings, and that has reduced the problem but it still does it once in a while. I have a 3/8 braided hose on the bypass. I may try to reduce it to 1/4, and see if that elimanates the problem.