Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

After Pictures of "The Fungus Beast Deck'!

Question

Thought I would go ahead and share some after pics on the redwood deck that was,in fact, 80% lichen and moss, and only 20% wood fiber... Still need to visit the project to snap some more post-ReadySeal pics.

12 answers to this question

Funny thing about this one, I never had to open a bottle of bleach to get those blimmy little critters to release from that trellis! Soaked it heavy with Sod. Percarb/Simple Cherry for an hour or so while I was washing the floorboards and the adjacent redwood fence. When it was time to start my 'lichen assault' those critters had been soaking so long they really just came right off. Staining the trellis was more of an event due to all of the nice landscaping below and around the trellis.

Matt,

Those will make terrific portfolio pics, especially that lichen infested pergola. The percarb did a nice job on the redwood. Wish we saw more of it around here, redwood is a real nice looking and workable wood, but virtually non-existent in this area.

Ken,

Yeah, the deck boards look to be 2 x 6. The only redwood we see in these parts are those cheesy hot tub enclosures, with the panels ~ 1/8" thick.

You can't even get Redwood in Maryland anymore. We care for a number of Redwood decks, it's a beautiful wood to work with. Matt's in the middle of Redwood country out there.

Beth :cup:

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I appreciate that quite a bit. She phoned me today and referred to me as a "magician"...Guess thats a good sign! 95% of all decks I see are redwood. Really nothing else here in Northern California with the possible exception of the occasional exotic. I love working with redwood. It can fuzz up mighty easy, but has big transformative potential.