Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Good composites?

Question

Finished a nice knotty cedar job yesterday and the customer asked a question I cannot answer.

Can anyone recommend a better quality, well manufactured composite decking material? Customer wants a deck built for a 2nd home in Southern Vermont and does not want the maintenance of wood.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Rick,

I am a true fan of real wood. However, when I run into a customer with their minds set on composite and there is nothing I can do to change how they feel there is only one composite manufacturer that I will use....Timbertech. Check out their web site at www.timbertech.com. They use virgin plastic and better grade wood particles in their decking. Most composites are made of recycled plastics and scrap wood particles.

Timbertech has some decking now that looks very much like IPE and you have to look close to tell the difference. Its pricey though and as far as material goes it is more expensive than IPE. Labor to install IPE will still be higher than installing composite so it is about a wash as far a pricing goes.

If composite is what they insist on check into Timbertech, but what ever you do stay away from Trex, Home Depot, Lowes, and Rhino composite decking.