Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

latest warm honey gold job.

Question

17 answers to this question

Cedar deck? Love it. Never seen one out here in Northern California. Everthing redwood. Love the grain expression in that deck, super deep and rich. Well done. Must have been fun masking that house off for spraying? I imagine you had to mask off higher than what is shown in the pictures...

Cedar deck? Love it. Never seen one out here in Northern California. Everthing redwood. Love the grain expression in that deck, super deep and rich. Well done. Must have been fun masking that house off for spraying? I imagine you had to mask off higher than what is shown in the pictures...

Matt,

The deck in Daniel's pictures is built with pressure treated wood, most likely Southern Yellow Pine. This is the predominant deck wood used on the East coast and down South.

Western Red Cedar is a much more expensive wood, relatively soft and light in weight, and loaded with tannin, similar in many respects to redwood. Picture attached is "clear" WRC prepped and ready for staining.

EFC probably wouldn't have handled that heavy green mold in the before pics.

What stain was on there dan?

It was a failing behr stain- saw the cans behind the shed. You can't actually see the stain in the before pics - because there is a layer of filth on top of it that almost makes it look like there is no stain. But after I washed the home with simple cherry - the first few boards adjacent to the house showed the stain. And of course I can't downstream efc-38 strong enough to do the job.

It's actually just pressure treated - and what you see for masking is what you get. I turn down the pressure on my airless as far as it goes. I've sprayed a ton of homes with solid stain and paint for years and have been pretty lucky. I think the horror stories you here are when guys are doing totally stupid things - like using full pressure on a windy day with black paint with a jaguar in the driveway. Woodtux could be mistaken for early spring sap - I've seen speckles of sappy substance on my cars for years this time of year.

Thanks for all the compliments. 3 years ago before I knew about the grimescene - my approach to decks was really outdated and I really didn't know much about the substrate I was working with. I think part of being a professional is really having a grasp on product knowledge and actually knowing what is going on when treating a deck - as opposed to being an 'applicator' where you crank open a can and lay the product on. These deck jobs have been a gold mine for me - and as well I have come to the realization that the lowballers and hacks will just never be the competition with the quality of work - And perhaps in house painting, they can pull the infamous rug over the eyes of customers - in deck work, the differences in quality are immensely and readily apparent. If people don't want to pay my price, I just walk away knowing they will truly get what they pay for.

Deckwork, guys, it's something to think about. Sure it ain't as easy and straightforward as house washing. But after losing 10 housewashes in a row - it's nice to be able to pull up to a job where the customer loves you, you work for a few days, making 15-20 times the money as the lowballer housewash - without the 15-20 jobsite commutes - it allows you to cherry pick your other jobs