Sign in to follow this  
FLORIN

Damp wood staining/sealing

Question

Hello folks.

Is there any other good brands of stain out there that can be applied to damp wood like Wood Tux Wet. Just trying to see if i could find something else more local. Or at least a more local distributor of WTW to me.

16 answers to this question

Run a search Florin.. same exact topic was discussed very recently.

ps- well I thought there was a specifc thread but can't find. here is another : http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/12995-done-day.html

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Any waterbborne product can be applied to damp wood. Here is another product that is an oil based product that can be used on wet wood.

IN-WOOD, Solvant-based stain for fences, decks, docks, log homes and much more.

This is the product my main competitor was applying to decks. The decks I have seen looked as good or better than the WT. The only problem is they actually do adhere to VOC laws and will not ship this product to the NE or CA.

Any waterbborne product can be applied to damp wood. Here is another product that is an oil based product that can be used on wet wood.

IN-WOOD, Solvant-based stain for fences, decks, docks, log homes and much more.

This is the product my main competitor was applying to decks. The decks I have seen looked as good or better than the WT. The only problem is they actually do adhere to VOC laws and will not ship this product to the NE or CA.

I used to see all sorts of benefits to doing this, but anymore I don't. This whole thing of "just brush off the puddles" and seal it, don't care for it. We have seen decks applied dry and decks applied wet, the finish looks different, the longevity is not there - at least with one particular one we have tried.

I would rather the finish last, than shorten the life to save myself time. Customers pay good money and trust us as professionals to give them the best result we can.

Just my .02...

Beth

I agree, Beth. Having this type of product is just an insurance policy of staying on schedule. We have been using Baker's and it has been a wet May. We got a little off schedule here and there but nothing that would make me want to go backwards and use something with questionable longevity. Rain every other day would make me look towards an alternative wet-wood friendly product.

Ken, which Baker's are you using? I know Tom makes a deck version with more mineral spirits in it. I've used both, and they both look great. The deck version has a cleaner look, not as dark since there's less oil. The standard version(more parrafin oil) is great for older neglected wood, the copper pigment also hides the imperfections in old wood. I'm doing a log house with Super Cedar this week.

Thanks all. I will look into the inwood stain. They sell it locally to me. I have been delayed on three deck jobs for two weeks now. I am not getting enough dry time in between rainny days. Customers are versatile with what brand I use but they are getting antsy to get their decks done.

No, I just was wondering since I bid on the job myself and asked the homeowner to contact me at least if he went with another company . I was holding open a date for him . He was up front that he was getting other bids (several) and did call me back . The job was a solid stain that had to be stripped from the verticals with the floor mostly worn off. He like the job I did for the neighbor 2 houses away but I was hoping to get a clue if price was his deciding factor. I like to get 2-3 of 5 bids I place. This one got away !