Sign in to follow this  
rj242

? for the woodies?

Question

I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of using a oil based stain and then covering it with Thompson Water Seal? I ask this question because I cleaned and brightened cedar shakes (put on in 1977 and never had any treatment on them) on my aunt's house. The job turned out really nice. She wanted to split the work on her house, and give the sealing job to her other nephew (a painter). He then stained the cedar shakes with a light colored oil based Behr, and then covered it with Thompson Water Sealer.

Has anyone ever heard of such treatment? What effects will it have on the shakes?

7 answers to this question

Is almost a thing of experimentation and luck BUT that said I can still attest to fact that old timers used to mix stuff together and use them that way for some pretty good results. I've seen long term results like 10 years by mixing linseed and thompsons but that is not what your talking about in placing one over the other.

Far as layering things, irony has it that while mixing up a batch of downstream strength stripper today I noticed that my stir stick was not coming clean of Armstrong coated over with thinned lacquer. Actually neither the section with lacquer or a section with just Armstrong was coming off. Normally other stuff like Cabot or anything else mentioned on these forums come right off. Hope I mixed her up right..

From what I have to explain to customers I think that two product thing probably stems back to the past when there was a much more distinct difference between stain and sealer.

One of my workers told me that when he worked for a log home contractor that the owner used to mix Benjamin Moore and Thompsons together and put it on log homes.

Cabot's, Benjamin Moore, Thompson's.. these are billion dollar companies with annual R&D budgets that exceed what many of us will make in a lifetime PW'ing. My feeling is that if a product like Ben Moore wood sealer would last longer with paraffin (wax that is Thompson's Water Seal) added to it, it would be in there.